What's new

Best way to create media server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Labarr

New Around Here
HI Guys!
Just got settled down with new TV/new internet/new router! Now I am wondering how I can easily watch video files on my TV without having to hook up my laptop every time. I will post my setup/what I have:

Vizio 50" Smart TV (DLNA support) -Wired to router

ASUS Wireless N Dual Band N66U

HP laptop (Wireless)

1.5TB USB 3.0 External Hard drive

Verizon FIOS 75/35

What I want is to have some way to have a central location to save video files and then be able to play those files on my TV. The reason why I don't want to hook up my laptop is because 1) its annoying 2) I work afternoon to early am. And I want my parents to be able to access the files as well.

What would be my best option?
Thanks

I have the same TV & Router combination and I'm also trying to come up with the best media server solution at this very moment. I'll be following this thread for sure!!! I've tried streaming my mp4 movies via the USB-connected HD on my N66U but it's not working. I'm worried that it's the TV and BR Player that don't support the MP4. I downloaded PLEX (free media server software) but can't figure out how to get PLEX to transcode the mp4's before sending it to the TV or BR Player. Grrrrr! Best of luck and I'll let you know if I make any progress.

I downloaded PLEX (free media server software) but can't figure out how to get PLEX to transcode the mp4's before sending it to the TV or BR Player

Plex does all the transcoding automatically. Make sure you have enabled the DLNA server capability for Plex and you should be good to go on any kind of networked player. There's also a Plex app on some big brand smart tv's and blu ray players that makes navigating it a bit easier.

Plex only transcodes of the server has a decent enough CPU.
Plex + chromecast is an unbeatable combo though

I use a free server app called serviio on my pc. It's easy to set up. I'm using an Asus roter, N66. All videos play flawlessly on both my tv's, which are connected wirelessly.

Paul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!