What's new

Best way to integrate a WD My Book 3TB USB3 into a home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

McGyro

New Around Here
I have a home PC which is LAN connected to an Asus ac66u router and a Synology DS412SE NAS. Other computers are connected via WiFi and router. Both the router and synology have only USB2 peripheral conntectors. My PC has one USB3 connector.
The Synology is used for work data and other critical storage. The MyBook will be used for movies and other non-critical storage and will be mainly written to via PC and read from via WiFi.

What is the best way to connect that will give the highest streaming speed?

I thought buying a USB3 to Gigabit network adaptor and plugging into a network port on the router. Are there any alternatives?
Or should I just plug it into the router USB2 socket.
Thanks

What are you trying to connect to what?

The NAS simply connects to your ethernet wired LAN via a router port or an ethernet switch port. That router should have gigEthernet. Or the switch should.

Even USB 2 should be fast enough to support 1080p streaming. I would start by attaching it to the Synology so that you don't need the PC on for streaming.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!