What's new

Best way to REDUCE wifi range - accessibility?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

illlili

New Around Here
Hey guys, here's my situation. I installed an outdoor access point at a high-rise for free open access to their pool area which has upwards of 75 clients at a time. The issue is that the signal reaches the lower 6 floors which has led an influx of residents to drop their ISP's.

My questions is simply what approach would be best to both offer the pool goers a good 30 to 60 minutes of wifi and reverse those residents leaching the free wifi? shorten ip lease maybe?

TIA!

James

Hey guys, here's my situation. I installed an outdoor access point at a high-rise for free open access to their pool area which has upwards of 75 clients at a time. The issue is that the signal reaches the lower 6 floors which has led an influx of residents to drop their ISP's.

My questions is simply what approach would be best to both offer the pool goers a good 30 to 60 minutes of wifi and reverse those residents leaching the free wifi? shorten ip lease maybe?

TIA!

James

Put a large metal salad bowl above the AP. ;)

Hmmm... getting creative here...

Depends on where the AP is located, but perhaps getting a very high gain dipole (flattens the pattern), and then turn down the power to 50 percent or less...

Or perhaps a directional patch antenna and just light up the pool area..

And also use a password too. (More secure for the users and will deter miscellaneous use from 'other' users (or passersby).

Captive portal on the AP...
thats the only real way to achieve what the OP wants , set the portal to only allow an hour or so access per day per mac address , plus get a ticket system in place at reception for the pool side wireless access ( prob the best way )

Not sure about your wireless but on my low end wireless router I can set guest to turn on and off at certain hours. I would set it to turn on when the pool opens and to turn off when the pool closes. At least some freeloaders would find that a bit inconvenient.

Also might consider posting a password of the day on the gate by the pool. People on the 4th floor might find it a bit inconvenient having to walk to the pool every morning before they can log in.

Had another thought. Make it a "G-rated" service! Great feature for family oriented pool goers yet a big turn-off for at least some of the free loaders : -)

Some wireless routers have "family filters" and/or you could use the free family shield from OpenDNS (set your router to use 208.67.222.123 and/or 208.67.220.123 rather than the DNS your ISP provides).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!