What's new

Solved Best Way to Reserve IPs: LAN>DHCP List (or) Client Status>MAC and IP Address Binding?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sky

Regular Contributor
I have a handful of devices that need to have reserved IPs due to their rather limited or non-existent ability to reconnect if their IP changes after a warm boot or a power cycle. These aren't static IP clients, they have no user-enabled ability to "set" the IP on the client; they're just really bad—or even 100% unable—at reconnecting if the DHCP server changes their IP.

In the past I've used LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP List (Max Limit: 64) feature to set these up. However, Network Map > (circular Client button) > Client Status > (device) > MAC and IP Address Binding on-off slider appears to do the same thing but does not populate the DHCP List.

So I am wondering:
  1. Does the MAC & IP Address Binding slider do the same thing?
  2. Is it preferable to use the MAC-IP Address Binding feature or the old DHCP List feature?
  3. What's the difference between these?
  4. Does one perhaps use more NVRAM than the other?
  5. Something else?
Sky

Last edited:
One difference between them is the MAC and IP Binding option via the Network Map will reserve the IP address given to the device from the DHCP pool, whereas the Manual Assignment on the DHCP Server page will let you allocate IP addresses outside of your DHCP pool.

As a side note, if you check a device in the Network Map that you manually assigned an IP to, it will show the MAC and IP Binding option enabled, even though you didn't use this option to set it.

One difference between them is the MAC and IP Binding option via the Network Map will reserve the IP address given to the device from the DHCP pool, whereas the Manual Assignment on the DHCP Server page will let you allocate IP addresses outside of your DHCP pool.

As a side note, if you check a device in the Network Map that you manually assigned an IP to, it will show the MAC and IP Binding option enabled, even though you didn't use this option to set it.
I'd wondered what that was all about. Glad I'm not the only one seeing it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!