What's new

Best Wired Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jogl

Occasional Visitor
Yes, I am sure its been asked a hundred times, and I will be searching through the forums for the answer. I just signed up and this is my first post, so forgive me.

I need a wired router to replace my old Netgear RP 614. I would like one with a few more features, most notably better monitoring, logging and control of the WAN side goings on. My connection gets dropped occasionally and I'd like to be able to set how often it tries to reconnect, etc.

And have something a little newer which should (?) have other cool new features that I don't know about yet. (That's why I'm here!)

Thanks for having me, good day all,
JP.

P.S.: My connection is DSL. JP.

I need a wired router to replace my old Netgear RP 614. I would like one with a few more features, most notably better monitoring, logging and control of the WAN side goings on. My connection gets dropped occasionally and I'd like to be able to set how often it tries to reconnect, etc.

And have something a little newer which should (?) have other cool new features that I don't know about yet. (That's why I'm here!)
Hi,

As you can see from my footer: I suggest Asus routers with Merlin's firmware! :rolleyes:

The one with all cool new features (and a fast enough CPU), with best price/performance ratio is the AC68U.

If you want to be more "future proof" (what is future proof in today's fast changing world?) you might go for the AC88U - but you need to pay a higher prices and be patient to overcome all his "childhood illnesses"!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

when you say "best wired router" theres the cisco edgerouter series, juniper routers, etc. Than theres the x86 based routers too that are based on the multi processor xeon series such as being able to stuff 8 20 core xeons into a single system and install an OS you like that supports all the ram and CPU it has.

After reading through other posts it is looking like an AC68U set with wireless off will suffice. I thought wired because
1) That is what I currently have,
2) I thought wired would be simpler and cheaper,
3) I want to keep my topology which is:

phone line---modem---router---24 port switch---LAN, WAP's, etc.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you're set on keeping your router wired, it's perfectly doable. In plug-n-play land, perhaps a TP-Link metal-case model like a TL-R600VPN. If you've got the skill, won't find much better bang for the buck than a $50 Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X. The wizards in the latest firmware make it pretty easy to setup and you can find plenty of walk-throughs on YouTube. The MikroTik RB750GL can do even more out-of-the-box, but it's also way less approachable from a user perspective.

All those options are sub-$100, will more than handle any DSL speed and also fit your topology goals, with no need to be pumping juice through dormant radios. ;)