What's new

Best wireless router to be used as a wired router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alumiu90

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a TP-Link TL-R860 router on my wired network and I use a Asus RT-N66U as an AP for wireless.

I have Charter Spectrum internet service with speeds up to 100 mbps and the TL-R860 has always limited my speeds to about 45-50 mbps. I have finally decided it is time to change that and I thought instead of going with a new wired router why not buy a wireless router that I can turn off the wi-fi transmit on and use it as the wire router and combine it with a TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Switch (TL-SG108).

Can someone recommend a wireless router that the wi-fi transmit can be turned off on that would work well in this situation? I was looking at the Archer C1200 as a possibility.

The reason I was looking to go this route was because it seems to be the cheaper route and I am a network novice and was looking for something that was easy to setup.

Thanks

Last edited:
The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X or MikroTik hEX (RB750Gr3?) are good options.

The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X or MikroTik hEX (RB750Gr3?) are good options.

Thank you for the response. How difficult is it for a newbie to set up the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X? I set up the TP-Link TL-R860 without any issues, but it was about as plug and play as they come.

Almost any wireless router can have its wireless turned off, so that shouldn't be an issue in your choice of router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!