What's new

[Beta] AB-Solution 1.08-beta2 is out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@elorimer Let us know why your blacklist gets rewritten/deleted. The @shooter40sw 'quick hack' version is exactly for what I made it for: You can manually change the IP before installing.
The next beta will have that automated.

Edit: The content of the install log might be interesting to me as well.

Can you please move this to a new post. This problem is not about my script.
Thanks.

Actually it has to do with your script.
My entware installation works as long as i gonna install AB and
reboot. It seems to change something that i am not aware of.
If i install entware,reboot install AB then my AB is working fine but my entware is gone, so afterwards reinstalled it with the basic entware setup script and all works fine again.
I was then playing around with AB and found out, that a "rm" deinstall of AB again kills my entware installation.
Whats the take here?

Actually it has to do with your script.
My entware installation works as long as i gonna install AB and
reboot. It seems to change something that i am not aware of.
If i install entware,reboot install AB then my AB is working fine but my entware is gone, so afterwards reinstalled it with the basic entware setup script and all works fine again.
I was then playing around with AB and found out, that a "rm" deinstall of AB again kills my entware installation.
Whats the take here?
That depends which entware you manually install. The 1.08-beta2 installs the same one that the usr/bin/install-entware.sh does. What AB does is move part of the scripts into it's own startfile. If you manually install entware after that this may not work anymore, especially if you use the entware-ng with a swap file.

i am not sure which one. i just run the ./usr/sbin/entware-setup.sh from basic asuswrt merlin installation.
For me it just works if i reinstall entware afterwards.

i am not sure which one. i just run the ./usr/sbin/entware-setup.sh from basic asuswrt merlin installation.
For me it just works if i reinstall entware afterwards.
That just shows you that integrating entware into AB-Solution is not as simple as you think it is.
This is a beta and I am working on solutions to make it work as painlessly as possible to AB users.
If it does not work for you, wait for the next release. Which is still a ways out exactly for these reasons.

@elorimer Let us know why your blacklist gets rewritten/deleted. The @shooter40sw 'quick hack' version is exactly for what I made it for: You can manually change the IP before installing.
The next beta will have that automated.

Edit: The content of the install log might be interesting to me as well.
Whatever it might have been, it wasn't your script. I uninstalled and reinstalled ab-solution and it went fine with the blacklist.

Edit: I figured out what I thought was going on. The blacklist isn't incorporated into the host file anymore, as I perhaps misremembered, but is added in the config file.

Last edited:
Edit: I figured out what I thought was going on. The blacklist isn't incorporated into the host file anymore, as I perhaps misremembered, but is added in the config file.
It never was. The blacklist has always been added separately to be included by dnsmasq.

Where to d/l beta3 please ?
You'd have to hack into my LAN, find my development router and somehow get it from it's USB device.
That's where the very latest dev-version is stored.
For some intermediary versions, try to hack into my local Backup device, my Dropbox account or my local GitHub repo.

In case you read the below quote: Google 'look forward meaning'.
You can look forward to the next release: This is now eliminated in the 1.08-beta3 version.

It never was. The blacklist has always been added separately to be included by dnsmasq.
For ab-solutions, yes. But before you added pixelserv I had spent time with the ublockr variation, for which I had to manually add in blacklisted sites to the hosts file.

To have the scrip automatically download the host list say like "Sunday @ 2Am". Do I just change the config file to just say "Sunday" or is there something else I have to do?

Thanks.

Hi, nice job and thanks for tls support.
Anyway i am experiencing these errors:

Done.
+ logger AB-Solution updated hosts file and restarted dnsmasq
Existing /jffs/scripts/post-mount was replaced.
A Backup of the file is located at /tmp/mnt/ENTWARE/adblocking/backup
[: installed: unknown operand

The hosts file will update every Sunday @ 2:00 a.m.

ab-solution.sh: line 1: opkg: not found

Doing final checks if AB-Solution installed properly

checking /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
OK, file found
OK, file looks good

checking /jffs/scripts/post-mount
OK, file found
OK, file looks good

checking ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh
OK, file found
OK, file looks good

checking hosts-adblock
OK, file found
OK, file looks good

checking ab-solution.cfg
OK, file found
OK, file looks good

checking update-hosts.sh
OK, file found
OK, file looks good

--> Looking good, no problems found.

Any idea?

To have the scrip automatically download the host list say like "Sunday @ 2Am". Do I just change the config file to just say "Sunday" or is there something else I have to do?
Just change it to Sunday and then toggle Ad-Blocking off and back on again.
You can double check if it did change it by entering:
cru l
( thats a lowercase L) into the terminal. It will output something like this:
00 02 * * 3 /tmp/mnt/sixteen/adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh#UpdateHosts#
Where the last number is the update day. 1 being Monday, 0 being Sunday.
The 3 in this example will run the update on Wednesday.

Just change it to Sunday and then toggle Ad-Blocking off and back on again.
You can double check if it did change it by entering:
cru l
( thats a lowercase L) into the terminal. It will output something like this:
00 02 * * 3 /tmp/mnt/sixteen/adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh#UpdateHosts#
Where the last number is the update day. 1 being Monday, 0 being Sunday.
The 3 in this example will run the update on Wednesday.

So it looks like mine is updating every Saturday according to the output which I want.
00 02 * * 6 /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh #UpdateHosts#

Thanks for the awesome script.

00 02 * * 6 /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/scripts/update-hosts.sh #UpdateHosts#
I am honored you named your USB-Device "AB-Solution"!

Glad it works for you.
Now I can get rid of my adblocker add-on for firefox. It was a pain managing a bunch of devices and not having a central location until now.
That is exactly why I use Asuswrt-Merlin and started coding on this solution.
Simple but effective.

Does Web Interface, authentication method have to be HTTPS for this to work or can I just use http?

Does Web Interface, authentication method have to be HTTPS for this to work or can I just use http?
No, only https.
If I were you I would wait with the install of pixelserv.
Just use the standard blocking feature which is basically the same as 1.07, only IPv6 support was added.
The next beta3 (pixelserv) version will allow http auth and be a lot more stable than beta2 is.

No, only https.
If I were you I would wait with the install of pixelserv.
Just use the standard blocking feature which is basically the same as 1.07, only IPv6 support was added.
The next beta3 (pixelserv) version will allow http auth and be a lot more stable than beta2 is.

I have already installed pixelserv so is there a way to uninstall just that or do I have to uninstall AB-Solution altogether and start from scratch?

@kublai a bit tricky in this version. Beta3 will have a disable and unistall function.
Basically: If your /jffs/scripts/ directory was empty before you installed AB (if you're new to these custom scripts then it sure was), then delete all of them as well as the /AB-Solution/adblocking/ directory.
Now reboot the router and install AB again.
You can leave the /entware/ dir in your USB device. It will not do anything without the scripts in jffs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!