What's new

[BETA] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available for most models, except the RT-N66U and RT-AC56U (due to missing GPL components).

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with Asus GPL 380_2697. The notable changes introduced by this are also listed below. Note that this is a BETA GPL, so base features might introduce some new issues.
  • (GPL) MU-MIMO beta support for the RT-AC87, AC88, AC3100 and AC5300. This can be enabled under Wireless -> Professional. MU-MIMO-capable clients will be flagged as such on the Wireless Log page.
  • (GPL) Fixed IPTV support.
  • (GPL) Various security enhancements. For instance, the httpd server is now bound to specific network interfaces, and AiCloud's lighttpd was updated to a newer version.
  • In addition, multiple security patches were backported from OpenWRT for Samba.
  • A new button on the OpenVPN pages lets you revert the current server/client instance to its factory default settings, also erasing its stored keys/certificates.
  • NAT Passthrough settings are now more flexible. You can optionally determine if the NAT helper should also be enabled or not. Previous Asus defaulted to always having the NAT helper enabled whenever passthrough was enabled.
  • The official website (https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/) is now available through SSL, thanks to Let's Encrypt and my hosting provider officially supporting it. Note that Mediafire still only push downloads over HTTP - there's nothing I can do about this.
  • Various changes to Samba. Ina ddition to the security patches mentionned above, SPNEGO support was also enabled, and some performance tweaks were made to its performance on the RT-AC56/AC68/AC87/AC3200.
  • Webui enhancements to the DNSFilter and DHCP pages, integrating with Asus's new networkmap functionality.
  • Fixed traffic monitoring on ARM models using a BCM5301x switch, through a workaround (actual issue will need to be fixed upstream by Asus)
  • Tor updated to 0.2.7.6

Things that need to be tested:

• Test Samba sharing to ensure the security fixes didn't break anything. Test performance if you have one of the router models mentionned above, and report any change in performance.
  • People with IPTV or VoIP issues, please check if Asus's IPTV fixes and my NAT helper changes help if you previously had any issue. Test the NAT passthrough in either Enabled or Enabled+Helper modes.
  • If you previously used Tor, please confirm that the update didn't break anything
  • There were numerous tweaks and enhancements throughout the webui, please report any unusual issue. When you do so, make sure you open your web browser console (usually through F12), reload the page, and report any Javascript error as well as the content of that line.
  • Test the DHCP static lease page, as quite a few changes were made to how this page works, to integrate it into Networkmap
  • Please provide your feedback regarding specifically the RT-AC68U (new SDK), RT-AC66U (first official merge with GPL 380_xxxx support) and RT-AC3200 (currently using a mix of old and new components due to missing up-to-date GPL components for that model)
  • I've made a change to OpenVPN client routing (reverse path filtering was disabled). Please report if it makes any difference if you previously had issues with your OpenVPN client routing when in policy-based mode.

Please keep this thread on the specific topic of these beta builds. Off-topic posts will be ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
These are the currently known issues.

• Traditionnal QoS is broken on most of the ARM models (Asus issue)
  • No firmware available for the RT-N66U and RT-AC56U (missing GPL components for these two) (RT-AC56U fixed for Beta 2)
  • LAN clients routed through WAN when using OpenVPN Client + policy-routing +Exclusive DNS configuration were still using the tunnel DNS servers (Fixed for beta 2)

Last edited:
Code:
(GPL) Fixed IPTV support.

IPTV working with this 380.59 beta_1

Thanks for the new beta firmware Merlin! Keep up the great work. I have one question for you, does this firmware include the new 5ghz driver for the 87uU?

Thanks for the new beta firmware Merlin! Keep up the great work. I have one question for you, does this firmware include the new 5ghz driver for the 87uU?

It's the MU-MIMO enabled driver used by Asus in 380_2695.

Factory reset needed if coming from 380.58 on the RT-AC68U or only if something seems off?

Just installed 380.59 Beta 1 on an AC5300. The web GUI is painfully slow. I had noticed this previously with the ASUS Beta. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Great, thanks! The install was uneventful. It seems to be running well.

One thing I've noticed in both the asus versions and your versions is that the signal strength reported by the router for 5ghz connections seems low. That is, it shows far fewer bars than the devices show on their side. Bandwidth is high though, so I've been disregarding it.

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available for most models, except the RT-N66U and RT-AC56U (due to missing GPL components).

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with Asus GPL 380_2697. The notable changes introduced by this are also listed below. Note that this is a BETA GPL, so base features might introduce some new issues.
  • (GPL) MU-MIMO beta support for the RT-AC87, AC88, AC3100 and AC5300. This can be enabled under Wireless -> Professional. MU-MIMO-capable clients will be flagged as such on the Wireless Log page.
  • (GPL) Fixed IPTV support.
  • (GPL) Various security enhancements. For instance, the httpd server is now bound to specific network interfaces, and AiCloud's lighttpd was updated to a newer version.
  • In addition, multiple security patches were backported from OpenWRT for Samba.
  • A new button on the OpenVPN pages lets you revert the current server/client instance to its factory default settings, also erasing its stored keys/certificates.
  • NAT Passthrough settings are now more flexible. You can optionally determine if the NAT helper should also be enabled or not. Previous Asus defaulted to always having the NAT helper enabled whenever passthrough was enabled.
  • The official website (https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/) is now available through SSL, thanks to Let's Encrypt and my hosting provider officially supporting it. Note that Mediafire still only push downloads over HTTP - there's nothing I can do about this.
  • Various changes to Samba. Ina ddition to the security patches mentionned above, SPNEGO support was also enabled, and some performance tweaks were made to its performance on the RT-AC56/AC68/AC87/AC3200.
  • Webui enhancements to the DNSFilter and DHCP pages, integrating with Asus's new networkmap functionality.
  • Fixed traffic monitoring on ARM models using a BCM5301x switch, through a workaround (actual issue will need to be fixed upstream by Asus)
  • Tor updated to 0.2.7.6

Things that need to be tested:

• Test Samba sharing to ensure the security fixes didn't break anything. Test performance if you have one of the router models mentionned above, and report any change in performance.
  • People with IPTV or VoIP issues, please check if Asus's IPTV fixes and my NAT helper changes help if you previously had any issue. Test the NAT passthrough in either Enabled or Enabled+Helper modes.
  • If you previously used Tor, please confirm that the update didn't break anything
  • There were numerous tweaks and enhancements throughout the webui, please report any unusual issue. When you do so, make sure you open your web browser console (usually through F12), reload the page, and report any Javascript error as well as the content of that line.
  • Test the DHCP static lease page, as quite a few changes were made to how this page works, to integrate it into Networkmap
  • Please provide your feedback regarding specifically the RT-AC68U (new SDK), RT-AC66U (first official merge with GPL 380_xxxx support) and RT-AC3200 (currently using a mix of old and new components due to missing up-to-date GPL components for that model)
  • I've made a change to OpenVPN client routing (reverse path filtering was disabled). Please report if it makes any difference if you previously had issues with your OpenVPN client routing when in policy-based mode.

Please keep this thread on the specific topic of these beta builds. Off-topic posts will be ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Seems stable on my AC68U so far, just one weirdness, but I've seen the same thing reported on other Merlin firmwares.

Under switch control it states my AC68U is capable of CTF+FA, when the Asus firmware states it is capable of CTF only which I believe is correct for the first revision of AC68U.

Also the Wireless log under system log seems to always show the name of the device as set on the device. I'm sure it used to show the names I had set under DHCP reservations.

Installed on my RT-AC68U and everything seems fine. (I don't have Wireless enabled). I noticed that while the daily bandwidth list is cleared out (which I expected) the Statistics tab kept its info. Where does the Trend Micro statistics store its information?

In my case, just CTF is being shown as enabled. It used to show CTF+FA until I turned it off after enabling the Statistics deal. Note: with CTF enabled, the Statistics does seem correct as it matches when acceleration is off. Originally when it showed CTF+FA, the statistics was not correct. I had to disable it. Then I re-enabled it and just CTF showed. Strange.

Just installed 380.59 Beta 1 on an AC5300. The web GUI is painfully slow. I had noticed this previously with the ASUS Beta. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Not on the 88u. Once in the past when I experienced this, it was actually confict with the cache on the PC, so I rebooted the PC I was using that the GUI on the router started behaving well.

Not on the 88u. Once in the past when I experienced this, it was actually confict with the cache on the PC, so I rebooted the PC I was using that the GUI on the router started behaving well.

I'll have to try that next time. For now, it seems to have worked itself out after about 20 minutes and GUI response seems to be back to normal.

WOW .. new icons set! :p
8wa1qv.jpg

In the DHCP static lease page, there are a lot of devices named "new device", it does not take the hostname, which instead is correct
348rpeo.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!