What's new

[BETA] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

380.59 Beta 2 is now available. Please move to this thread for further discussions.

Just saw Beta 2 is out so will update to that but a couple things I found in Beta 1 - ignore if these are now obsolete:

• USB flash drive has stopped automounting smoothly. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't, tends to not work on reboot but then if I remove/re-insert it comes up eventually so I am guessing something times out during services start. But even when mount works running post-boot the it is quite slow.
  • Seemed to be some bug in serving up the Traffic analyzer pages:
    Go into Traffic Analyzer
    Click to Statistics tab
    Click Apps / Router buttons (sometimes http will crash here, refuse connections for a second)
    Click back to Traffic Analyzer tab (http will usually crash and refuse connections for minute)
Edit: AC-3200 BTW...

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 1 is now available for most models, except the RT-N66U and RT-AC56U (due to missing GPL components).

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with Asus GPL 380_2697. The notable changes introduced by this are also listed below. Note that this is a BETA GPL, so base features might introduce some new issues.
  • (GPL) MU-MIMO beta support for the RT-AC87, AC88, AC3100 and AC5300. This can be enabled under Wireless -> Professional. MU-MIMO-capable clients will be flagged as such on the Wireless Log page.
  • (GPL) Fixed IPTV support.
  • (GPL) Various security enhancements. For instance, the httpd server is now bound to specific network interfaces, and AiCloud's lighttpd was updated to a newer version.
  • In addition, multiple security patches were backported from OpenWRT for Samba.
  • A new button on the OpenVPN pages lets you revert the current server/client instance to its factory default settings, also erasing its stored keys/certificates.
  • NAT Passthrough settings are now more flexible. You can optionally determine if the NAT helper should also be enabled or not. Previous Asus defaulted to always having the NAT helper enabled whenever passthrough was enabled.
  • The official website (https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/) is now available through SSL, thanks to Let's Encrypt and my hosting provider officially supporting it. Note that Mediafire still only push downloads over HTTP - there's nothing I can do about this.
  • Various changes to Samba. Ina ddition to the security patches mentionned above, SPNEGO support was also enabled, and some performance tweaks were made to its performance on the RT-AC56/AC68/AC87/AC3200.
  • Webui enhancements to the DNSFilter and DHCP pages, integrating with Asus's new networkmap functionality.
  • Fixed traffic monitoring on ARM models using a BCM5301x switch, through a workaround (actual issue will need to be fixed upstream by Asus)
  • Tor updated to 0.2.7.6

Things that need to be tested:

• Test Samba sharing to ensure the security fixes didn't break anything. Test performance if you have one of the router models mentionned above, and report any change in performance.
  • People with IPTV or VoIP issues, please check if Asus's IPTV fixes and my NAT helper changes help if you previously had any issue. Test the NAT passthrough in either Enabled or Enabled+Helper modes.
  • If you previously used Tor, please confirm that the update didn't break anything
  • There were numerous tweaks and enhancements throughout the webui, please report any unusual issue. When you do so, make sure you open your web browser console (usually through F12), reload the page, and report any Javascript error as well as the content of that line.
  • Test the DHCP static lease page, as quite a few changes were made to how this page works, to integrate it into Networkmap
  • Please provide your feedback regarding specifically the RT-AC68U (new SDK), RT-AC66U (first official merge with GPL 380_xxxx support) and RT-AC3200 (currently using a mix of old and new components due to missing up-to-date GPL components for that model)
  • I've made a change to OpenVPN client routing (reverse path filtering was disabled). Please report if it makes any difference if you previously had issues with your OpenVPN client routing when in policy-based mode.

Please keep this thread on the specific topic of these beta builds. Off-topic posts will be ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Interesting issue I've encountered on Beta 1, reguarding ipv6. I am using inadyn-mt compiled locally for the router, gives ipv4 & ipv6 updates in one pass. Works great on build 380.58. After update to beta1, stopped working. RESOLVES ipv6 adresses correctly, but connections on ports 80, 443 fail to connect. testing with wget, lynx and telnet reveal the same issue. Will update to Beta 2 to test there.

Steve F

If you use the HTTPS interface, you get the following error:

Do you think there is an easy way to fix this? Sadly, the content is not available through https, but it's probably breaking the updateManufacturer part.

Edit: Yeah, it breaks the manufacturer recognition (it gets stuck at "loading manufaturer...").

Edit2: Maybe you could ship a local copy of the latest version with the firmware, and if it fails, it could use that.

The OUI database was smaller than I thought, and after LZMA compression it only adds about 150 KB to the firmware.

What I did was to add the database to the firmware, and query that local database first. If it fails, then I fall back to the IEEE online service, which is reachable over HTTPS.

Another added benefit is that the response is almost instantaneous now when displaying the popup, however the first time you load the index page it might be a bit slower, as the browser has to download a 700 KB file from the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!