What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60 Beta 1 is now available for all ARM models only (Asus's latest GPL release is missing required components for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U).

This is the first release that supports Asus's new header format, required by their firmware versions newer than 3.0.0.4.380_3000 or about. This also means that the same restriction will apply with 380.60: you will not be able to directly flash any older firmware (Asus or Merlin), nor any other third party firmware that does not use the new header format. For the time being it's still possible to flash such incompatible firmwares by using Firmware Recovery mode, but this could change in the future if Asus were to update the bootloader to implement the same firmware restrictions.

UPDATE: Beta 2 is now available, including a pair of fixes to the WAN code.

Here is the highlight of changes:

• Merged with Asus GPL 380_3479. This includes the new firmware validation code.
  • A new option was added to Traditional QoS allowing the kernel to properly calculate packet overhead for users with DSL (or other ATM-based connections). Note that Traditional QoS is still broken with the newer models, and there are doubts as well as to whether it works properly with the RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U.
  • OpenVPN was updated to 2.3.11.
  • Fixes to IPv6 sometime requesting a bogus prefix length from the ISP.
  • Various minor tweaks and fixes to Networkmap, minidlna, samba and wget SSL support. See the Changelog for complete details.

Things that are in need of particular testing:

• IPv6 connectivity, especially if you previously had trouble obtaining a delegated prefix from your ISP.
  • DLNA stability (the broadcast announcement code was updated to the latest Asus code)
  • By request, the Roaming Assistant will now accept values as high as -50. Please confirm that those values higher than -70 do work at all.

Please keep discussions on this specific firmware release. Any off-topic discussions will be either ignored or deleted. Also, always specify your router model when posting any feedback.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
I try it and... God send me good :)

2eanyqa.jpg

Last edited:
This is my first boot syslog after update and reset

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    19 KB · Views: 1,004
@Merlin on your change log page it shows this ( Beta : 380.59 Beta 1 (ARM)
Date: 19-June-2016 ) I think you made a typo.

@Merlin on your change log page it shows this ( Beta : 380.59 Beta 1 (ARM)
Date: 19-June-2016 ) I think you made a typo.

Ya, thanks.

Running AC68 (380.60 Beta 1) as router, AC56 (380.60 Beta 1) as AP, and N66 (John's fork) as repeater. I have been running the higher roaming assistant (-65) since the alpha came out. Devices get spread out to the closest signal fairly well. Sometimes it takes a bit for this to happen, but overall I have been happy with the performance. In some cases it happens as soon as I see a drop in wifi signal on my iPhone 6 as I move from the back of the house to the front of the house.

I had Alpha 3 installed of 380.60 so today I was excited to see there is a Beta 1, but upon trying to install it, I get this error:

error.png

I really hope I don't have to use the ASUS Recovery Tool each time I want to upgrade a firmware

You can not assign a manually IP address to the Range Extender, it takes a static IP address regardless of your assignment and router gives the following error:

sc5auh.jpg

I stress that the Range Extender is only a signal repeater and it is not set to have a static address. It's the Router's DHCP that assigns a "static IP" to a RE. Why?

I have the impression that there is some confusion in DHCP Router to manage properly a Range Extender.

Boh, I don't know.

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60 Beta 1 is now available for all ARM models only (Asus's latest GPL release is missing required components for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U).

This is the first release that supports Asus's new header format, required by their firmware versions newer than 3.0.0.4.380_3000 or about. This also means that the same restriction will apply with 380.60: you will not be able to directly flash any older firmware (Asus or Merlin), nor any other third party firmware that does not use the new header format. For the time being it's still possible to flash such incompatible firmwares by using Firmware Recovery mode, but this could change in the future if Asus were to update the bootloader to implement the same firmware restrictions.

Here is the highlight of changes:

• Merged with Asus GPL 380_3479. This includes the new firmware validation code.
  • A new option was added to Traditional QoS allowing the kernel to properly calculate packet overhead for users with DSL (or other ATM-based connections). Note that Traditional QoS is still broken with the newer models, and there are doubts as well as to whether it works properly with the RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U.
  • OpenVPN was updated to 2.3.11.
  • Fixes to IPv6 sometime requesting a bogus prefix length from the ISP.
  • Various minor tweaks and fixes to Networkmap, minidlna, samba and wget SSL support. See the Changelog for complete details.

Things that are in need of particular testing:

• IPv6 connectivity, especially if you previously had trouble obtaining a delegated prefix from your ISP.
  • DLNA stability (the broadcast announcement code was updated to the latest Asus code)
  • By request, the Roaming Assistant will now accept values as high as -50. Please confirm that those values higher than -70 do work at all.

Please keep discussions on this specific firmware release. Any off-topic discussions will be either ignored or deleted. Also, always specify your router model when posting any feedback.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Unable to install RT-AC5300_380.60_beta1

Try this tip, via CFE (Common Firmware Environment) miniWeb Server:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac...-accept-378-56-or-anything.32857/#post-264728

I copy and paste:

Tips for getting to mini-CFE webserver

1) Power off the router using the power button

2) Set your PC's IP to 192.168.29.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.29.1 (assuming the recovery mode is 192.168.29.1)

3) Navigate to 192.168.29.1 using your browser. Browser status will spin indicating looking for page

4) Press and hold the reset button while powering on
When the mini-CFE webpage appears on the browser, release the reset button

The browser status must be spinning (looking for a webpage) for this to occur.

This method seemed much easier than the hit and miss of trying to go into mini-CFE webserver blindly.

If the above doesn't work, try changing your IP to 192.168.1.2 with subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.1.1
and then try the above procedure using 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.29.1.

It's rare that a firmware will destroy a CFE (bootloader)
but it's possible on some since they check and overwrite the CFE (which can be dangerous for Asus to be doing down that road IMO).

xlxboi.png

2dgumoz.png

Good luck :)

Working well here. IPV6 fine. But I did not have any issues to speak of. And I don't use the routers DLNA stuff.

68U

Last edited:
Try this tip, via CFE (Common Firmware Environment) miniWeb Server:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac...-accept-378-56-or-anything.32857/#post-264728

I copy and paste:

Tips for getting to mini-CFE webserver

1) Power off the router using the power button

2) Set your PC's IP to 192.168.29.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.29.1 (assuming the recovery mode is 192.168.29.1)

3) Navigate to 192.168.29.1 using your browser. Browser status will spin indicating looking for page

4) Press and hold the reset button while powering on
When the mini-CFE webpage appears on the browser, release the reset button

The browser status must be spinning (looking for a webpage) for this to occur.

This method seemed much easier than the hit and miss of trying to go into mini-CFE webserver blindly.

If the above doesn't work, try changing your IP to 192.168.1.2 with subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.1.1
and then try the above procedure using 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.29.1.

It's rare that a firmware will destroy a CFE (bootloader)
but it's possible on some since they check and overwrite the CFE (which can be dangerous for Asus to be doing down that road IMO).

xlxboi.png

2dgumoz.png

Good luck :)
Thanks for the detailed instructions bro, I can do this for my router at home but right now I am at a cafe which I have convinced them to buy this router as well. I cannot perform all these instructions here I was hoping it would be a simple upgrade just like the Alpha version was.

I hope @Merlin can chime in

Easy-peasy flash-up to this beta from alpha 3 on my 5300 with no hiccups. The beta is working great so far (as did alpha 3)

With both alpha 3 and this beta, I'm getting consistently great ipv6 results from ipv6-test.com -- I was previously getting very sporadic (at best) ipv6 results with the stock Asus f/w (I was using the latest version which is no longer available).

As always - great work here, Eric - thank you!

Cheers, Chris

ETA: ISP is Comcast, with respect to ipv6

Same as usual: reboot your router first to free up sufficient free RAM...

Same as usual: reboot your router first to free up sufficient free RAM...
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow when I go to the cafe.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!