What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know how 380.60 Beta 2 is different from 380.59, but right after upgrade, I noticed a strange (but positive) thing - 5GHz connection went from 25% to 35% signal strength on a computer which is placed behind several walls from AC87U. I thought it's Windows error (thought it displays a wrong signal strength, because it always had 2 bars, and now has 3 bars), so I ran netspot and saw that signal strength was really boosted up to 35%

I don't know how 380.60 Beta 2 is different from 380.59, but right after upgrade, I noticed a strange (but positive) thing - 5GHz connection went from 25% to 35% signal strength on a computer which is placed behind several walls from AC87U. I thought it's Windows error (thought it displays a wrong signal strength, because it always had 2 bars, and now has 3 bars), so I ran netspot and saw that signal strength was really boosted up to 35%

Were you using the same channels before/after?

WAN connectivity for all clients still breaks when using OpenVPN client + selective routing + Accept DNS configuration "Strict". Same as previously posted regarding 380.60_alpha2.

Don't use Strict mode. It probably doesn't do what you think it does, and will definitely create issues if the tunnel providers uses private nameservers. Use Exclusive mode instead.

The dnsmasq author mentioned in the past that strict mode was broken by design.

I never had WAN issues with Beta 1 (actually, I've never had WAN issues) but now - after a period of time - less than an hour - I lose my WAN connection. Red light on the router (AC88U) and msg: Network cable is disconnected on the Network Map page.

None of the Beta 2 changes have anything even remotely close to affecting such a report. One change was so the DHCP WAN lease gets renewed within the proper time frame as described by the RFC rather than an arbitrary 60 seconds value, and will make the router better deal with ISPs that use multiple DHCP servers, and the other change was something that Asus broke around 380_13xx relative to USB 3G/4G modems.

Were you using the same channels before/after?

Unless new version changes previous channels, then yes, I used the same channels. However, I noticed that while signal strength was boosted by 40% (from 25 to 35), my download speeds are now 40% lower. Noticed that while downloading torrents, and speedtest.net also confirmed that my download speed is 40% lower than before upgrade.

Unless new version changes previous channels, then yes, I used the same channels. However, I noticed that while signal strength was boosted by 40% (from 25 to 35), my download speeds are now 40% lower. Noticed that while downloading torrents, and speedtest.net also confirmed that my download speed is 40% lower than before upgrade.

Signal strength (real or indicated) has never been a good indication of 'better' WiFi.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

If you haven't done the above after flashing to a new firmware, I would do so.

Then, test each channel for highest throughput and lowest latency at various locations (and use the best, overall).

The channel used shouldn't have changed. But other things going on in the router between versions did.

Don't use Strict mode. It probably doesn't do what you think it does, and will definitely create issues if the tunnel providers uses private nameservers. Use Exclusive mode instead.

The dnsmasq author mentioned in the past that strict mode was broken by design.

Thanks for your reply RMerlin. That's interesting regarding the "broken by design". If better error checking isn't possible to prevent breaking WAN connectivity, then maybe simply disabling "Strict" mode when the user selects "Policy Routing" would be a good idea. I always use Exclusive to prevent DNS leaks, but just wanted to report what I thought was a bug possibly related to some of the WAN connectivity issues being reported here.

FWIW, Strict mode caused DNS leaks in the latest versions of Tomato firmware, but it never broke the WAN connection. And, Strict mode only breaks WAN connectivity when Policy-based routing is enabled. Strict mode works fine in 380.60 beta 2, with the exception of DNS leaks, when "Redirect Internet Traffic" is set to "All Traffic".

Also, Private Internet Access and Torguard recommend Strict mode (don't know why) in their VPN client setup instructions for Tomato and ASUS Merlin.

Strict mode with policy based routing appears to work just as I would expect on my fork. If I dump the dnsmasq stats, I can see it starting at the top of the list and rolling down as necessary. And yes, it does show that occasionally I leak from the VPN servers to my first ISP server.

Code:
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: time 5983
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: cache size 1500, 0/1145 cache insertions re-used unexpired cache entries.
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: queries forwarded 662, queries answered locally 35
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: DNSSEC memory in use 2904, max 4840, allocated 149996
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: server 209.222.18.222#53: queries sent 555, retried or failed 96
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: server 209.222.18.218#53: queries sent 96, retried or failed 20
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: server 68.105.28.11#53: queries sent 20, retried or failed 0
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: server 68.105.29.11#53: queries sent 0, retried or failed 0
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: server 68.105.28.12#53: queries sent 0, retried or failed 0
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: server 2001:578:3f::30#53: queries sent 0, retried or failed 0
Jun 25 11:08:29 dnsmasq[2702]: server 2001:578:3f:1::30#53: queries sent 0, retried or failed 0

I'm not sure If I'm doing something wrong, but can't quite figure this out. When I limit my bandwidth in adaptive QOS to 150/10 it works, but only the first time. If I go to test my bandwidth again the speeds go back to full speed. If I turn QOS off, then turn it back on and enter the same parameters it will work once, but then after the initial test the bandwidth goes full bandwidth again. Any ideas? I'm using the RT-3100 on the 360.80B2 firmware. Thanks for your help meow.

Hello!
My router is RT-AC68U.
I have a big problem with 380.60 beta 2.
After initial Setup Wizard everything is good.
If I change any setting via web interface and reboot router after it I cannot open no one website (but I can ping any of them), uTorrent, Skype, Viber and other similar software has no internet connection.
These settings are not connected with any WAN setup (e.g. on-off WPS, enable SSh).
Everything is going to work normal only after applying Factory defaults.

What should I do in this situation?

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    20.9 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Finally im not alone!!

""The Network Cable is unplugged" o_O

Same issue with beta 1 and 2 now
Yes i have done a factory reset .Yes the cables are good, i tested them (router-modem,cat 6)(router-pc,cat 6)
Nothing in syslog(clean)
Rebooting fixed it,until when?

Beta 1 took 3 days and this message appear
Beta 2 took 6 hours

Ipv6= http://ipv6-test.com/ DNS6 + IP6=unreachable(beta 1 and 2) ,work well with 380.58 and before

Here a pic from beta 1

Try leaving it for a day - no changes / no tinkering. Then reboot.

Mine seems to be stable now.

None of the Beta 2 changes have anything even remotely close to affecting such a report. One change was so the DHCP WAN lease gets renewed within the proper time frame as described by the RFC rather than an arbitrary 60 seconds value, and will make the router better deal with ISPs that use multiple DHCP servers, and the other change was something that Asus broke around 380_13xx relative to USB 3G/4G modems.

Well, after giving the router some time to settle down and then a reboot, it seemed to survive the night without any WAN issues.

It's almost like that slow GUI issue that eventually goes away. I had numerous WAN disconnects and reboots soon after installing Beta 2 - but it seems fine now.

hanks for your reply RMerlin. That's interesting regarding the "broken by design". If better error checking isn't possible to prevent breaking WAN connectivity, then maybe simply disabling "Strict" mode when the user selects "Policy Routing" would be a good idea. I always use Exclusive to prevent DNS leaks, but just wanted to report what I thought was a bug possibly related to some of the WAN connectivity issues being reported here.

The only reason why I keep "Strict" there for now is for consistency with both Asuswrt and Tomato. I'm often tempted to simply remove that setting from the UI.

Hello!
My router is RT-AC68U.
I have a big problem with 380.60 beta 2.
After initial Setup Wizard everything is good.
If I change any setting via web interface and reboot router after it I cannot open no one website (but I can ping any of them), uTorrent, Skype, Viber and other similar software has no internet connection.
These settings are not connected with any WAN setup (e.g. on-off WPS, enable SSh).
Everything is going to work normal only after applying Factory defaults.

What should I do in this situation?

You seem to be configured with a double NAT setup, which can create all kind of odd issues. For instance, you have your DNS set to 192.168.100.1, which won't work until your router actually gets a lease from your upstream router (within that subnet).

I recommend researching the possibility of configuring your upstream modem/router in bridged mode, so the router can directly handle the WAN connection. If you can't, make sure you aren't hardcoding 192.168.100.1 as your DNS on the WAN or the DHCP pages.

And yes, it does show that occasionally I leak from the VPN servers to my first ISP server.

Which is expected. All strict mode does is tell dnsmasq to query the nameservers in the listed order. If one failed to reply, then it will work down the list to use the next one.

Simon (the dnsmasq author) posted something a few years ago showing how much he disliked that Strict setting himself, and that it made little sense.

Hi, nice work again, just i have this problem, many time if i say true, in the last firmwares i know have support to IPTV, but i cant left him working on in my AC87U, can help me with this tema what happen i update to the beta2 but nothing i dont know where fail the configuration, thanks for all.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

You seem to be configured with a double NAT setup, which can create all kind of odd issues. For instance, you have your DNS set to 192.168.100.1, which won't work until your router actually gets a lease from your upstream router (within that subnet).

I recommend researching the possibility of configuring your upstream modem/router in bridged mode, so the router can directly handle the WAN connection. If you can't, make sure you aren't hardcoding 192.168.100.1 as your DNS on the WAN or the DHCP pages.
Thanks for you answer!
Unfortunately I can't make any changes in upstream router (it is from my internet provider).
DNS server is not hard coded anywhere (as I wrote before I can't change ANY of settings after initial Setup Wizard). Everything worked fine on previous versions of your firmware (at least last 3-4 years).
I tried to change DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in DNS and WAN but situation is the same.
Do you have any other idea?

Last edited:
Without making too much of an issue here - why?

Your device was probably working fine until you did the action that resulted in your query here...

Newer is not necessarily better, as you've discovered...
I think anyone trying a beta or Alpha already know that they are taking risks. So I figure most people with 68U are anxiously awaiting firmware that makes their Router work better, so they can't wait to try which usually leads into problems.
This is why they are called Alphas and Betas.
So I agree with SFX2000 but at the same time I can understand the need to update firmware :)
I for one will wait until a few versions get released because the fact that we cannot go back to older firmware bugs me.
I have to make sure these new firmware work as good as the present ones for my 87U.
Just a note of caution to everyone updating Alpha and Beta Firmware especially with the fact that you can never return to .59 and earlier :(

I for one will wait until a few versions get released because the fact that we cannot go back to older firmware bugs me.

That's exactly why I haven't flashed yet. Why would I ever go to a beta version I can't revert in case of problems?!? The earliest version I'm going to install is the final, if no one reports any serious problems.

Anyone know why the QOS settings won't stick on the rt-3100? Am I doing something dumb? I made a post last page, and still can't get it to work. I admittedly have used it just as an access point for as long as I've had it, and used my Netduma router for everything else as their QOS system is as simple as it gets, but the wireless capabilities are very limited. I'll probably just go back to that setup, but I was just trying to see how things went with using the rt3100 on it's own.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!