What's new

Beta Version ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.6117

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.6117
- Release Note -

[Please note] This version changed the login authentication method. Please unplug the hard drive before updating firmware. After firmware updated, please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router to avoid some compatibility issues.

Security fixes
- Enhanced the login authentication strength and fixed CSRF related issues.
- Forced administrator to change the default password "admin" in internet setup wizard.
- Added protection mechanism for GUI login brute-force attack for login username and password.
- Administrator can assign a specified IP to login GUI in Administration > System > "Allow only specified IP.

New feature
- Added client list view button on network map and help administrator easily monitor all client connection status.

Bug fixes
- Fixed lease time and lease expires time
- Fixed ethernet connection fail in IPv6 when WAN hwaddr is cloned.
- Fixed allowed and blocked incoming icmp firewall rules.
- Fixed dnsmasq buffer overflow issue.
- Fixed redirect issue when using https only.
- Fixed USB related issues when connected to USB hub.

3G/LTE dongle related fixes
- Fixed executed time issue when using auto-APN.
- Modified auto-APN nvram.
- Fixed lockpin function.
- Fixed send_sms function.
- Updated the SPN data from Android.
- Fixed web redirected fail after setting PPPoE in internet setup wizard.

Modifications
- Reduced media server memory usage when scanning *.avi, *.mov, *.mp4, *.m4a, *.3gp, *.3g2, *.mj2.

Been up and running since it posted. Only issue is this new log entry popping up about once a day : 23:00:32 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...

Been up and running since it posted. Only issue is this new log entry popping up about once a day : 23:00:32 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
I have upgraded my RT-N66U as well.
I noticed the Got SIGALRM allready in the previous (JP only) firmware 3.0.0.4.378.6065. It disappeared here after 2 days or so.

[EDIT]
Over night the system log shows it again:
Code:
Jun  5 22:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Jun  5 23:01:12 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
Jun  6 00:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
[EDIT]
The Got SIGALRM appeared only once until now, June 8.

Last edited:
Hello,

I notice this is listed as a beta firmware. Is it necessary to upgrade to this asap or should I wait for the final release? Is it typical for asus to release beta firmwares then a final release shortly thereafter?

On the patch notes, the security fixes are rather vague...wondering if this is a "must" upgrade now firmware or one that really only applies to select users. I don't use default password, I don't have vpn or any remote features turned on including remote administration, etc. If the security issues are actually more serious than the patch notes lead me to believe, I'll go ahead and upgrade. Appreciate your advice on this matter.

A couple other things:

Even though I have pings turned to OFF, I can remotely ping my router. Not the end of the world but seems a bit sloppy on asus' part. Anyone else notice this?

There was a discussion about the R & U firmwares and if they are identical. I downloaded the latest beta firmwares for both. Extracted the files, renamed both files to the same name, and created and compared SHA-512 hash for both, they matched. Appear to be identical. Not sure if the file name will matter or not when upgrading but don't know why it would...

Also, hello everyone. Looking forward to contributing to these forums.

I know it's a Beta version but still...
I've had some issues with this latest firmware.

Here are my findings so far:

If you change the default LAN IP of your RT-N66U when using this firmware version then a lot of things will stop working...
like:
1. Can't reboot device from web interface.
2. Can't change between 2.4 and 5 GHz tabs.. (WLAN)
3. Can't import saved settings
4. ....

I had do an additional hard reset and then revert back to 3.0.0.4.378.4850. Works like a charm now :)

Also with the latest firmware the web interface is lagging a lot... and yes, I did a hard reset after upgrading.

Hello,

I notice this is listed as a beta firmware. Is it necessary to upgrade to this asap or should I wait for the final release? Is it typical for asus to release beta firmwares then a final release shortly thereafter?
The firmware release is not marked as mandatory.
The recent firmware history is as follows:
3.0.0.4.378.6117 is Beta.
3.0.0.4.378.6065 is Japan only.
3.0.0.4.378.4850 is Beta.
3.0.0.4.376.3861 is the latest formal generic release.

Version 3.0.0.4.376.3861 contains some serious security fixes, I formally suggest this firmware.
On the patch notes, the security fixes are rather vague...wondering if this is a "must" upgrade now firmware or one that really only applies to select users. I don't use default password, I don't have vpn or any remote features turned on including remote administration, etc. If the security issues are actually more serious than the patch notes lead me to believe, I'll go ahead and upgrade. Appreciate your advice on this matter.
Never change a winning team :)
See suggestion above.
A couple other things:

Even though I have pings turned to OFF, I can remotely ping my router. Not the end of the world but seems a bit sloppy on asus' part. Anyone else notice this?
This is weird, did you ever hard reset the router and manual configure it again after a firmware upgrade?
There was a discussion about the R & U firmwares and if they are identical. I downloaded the latest beta firmwares for both. Extracted the files, renamed both files to the same name, and created and compared SHA-512 hash for both, they matched. Appear to be identical. Not sure if the file name will matter or not when upgrading but don't know why it would...
R and U hardware versions of routers are identical, hence the firmware files will be identical.
Also, hello everyone. Looking forward to contributing to these forums.
You are welcome.

If you change the default LAN IP of your RT-N66U when using this firmware version then a lot of things will stop working...
like:
4. ....

I had do an additional hard reset and then revert back to 3.0.0.4.378.4850. Works like a charm now :)
How did you perform the hard reset?
I suggest as follows:
  1. Advanced Settings>Administration>System: Enable Telnet = Yes
  2. Open a Telnet session to the router.
  3. Run the following command from the Terminal prompt: mtd-erase -d nvram
  4. Power down the router and start it up again.
  5. Access the router at the default IP address 192.168.1.1 and admin/admin
  6. Manual configure the router again (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).
Also with the latest firmware the web interface is lagging a lot... and yes, I did a hard reset after upgrading.
With what browser and on what device do you open the webinterface?

The firmware release is not marked as mandatory.
The recent firmware history is as follows:
3.0.0.4.378.6117 is Beta.
3.0.0.4.378.6065 is Japan only.
3.0.0.4.378.4850 is Beta.
3.0.0.4.376.3861 is the latest formal generic release.

Version 3.0.0.4.376.3861 contains some serious security fixes, I formally suggest this firmware.

Never change a winning team :)
See suggestion above.

This is weird, did you ever hard reset the router and manual configure it again after a firmware upgrade?

As soon as I received the router, I updated the firmware then performed a reset to factory defaults within the GUI interface. I then manually entered my settings. Decided to reset it a second time to factory defaults from within GUI and manually entered my settings again.

Have you tried pinging your home IP address from an external IP e.g. at work? Do you receive an echo reply?

Would unplugging the router & holding the actual physical reset button for 45 seconds do a better job of clearing the nvram than from within the GUI?

I could telnet using putty but seems a bit extreme (you would think the reset to factory defaults from the gui or holding the physical reset button should be sufficient)...just my opinion.

=======
Once I reset the device (awaiting your reply on above), should I reflash the same firmware or should I be ok to re-enter my manual settings? Thank you.

As soon as I received the router, I updated the firmware then performed a reset to factory defaults within the GUI interface. I then manually entered my settings. Decided to reset it a second time to factory defaults from within GUI and manually entered my settings again.

Have you tried pinging your home IP address from an external IP e.g. at work? Do you receive an echo reply?
Yes, I just tried again with firmware 3.0.0.4.378.6117:
Respond Ping Request from WAN = No = No ping reply from an external IP.
Respond Ping Request from WAN = Yes = A positive ping reply from an external IP.
Would unplugging the router & holding the actual physical reset button for 45 seconds do a better job of clearing the nvram than from within the GUI?
Both are reported to have incomplete results under certain conditions.
I could telnet using putty but seems a bit extreme (you would think the reset to factory defaults from the gui or holding the physical reset button should be sufficient)...just my opinion.
Under Windows you can Telnet from the command prompt, Putty will do as well.
Experiences learn that clear NVRAM through Telnet has the most reliable result.
=======
Once I reset the device (awaiting your reply on above), should I reflash the same firmware or should I be ok to re-enter my manual settings? Thank you.
A firmware flash it self seldom fails:
  • Unless the firmware file is corrupt (hence they have added the MD5 checksum so you can validate your firmware file).
  • Unless you flash firmware that is intended for another router.
  • Unless the firmware upgrade process is interrupted.
In case of doubts: check the firmware file and re-flash.

So I figured out why I was receiving the ping reply. I was VPN'd into my work network then using remote desktop of another computer to ping my home WAN ip. When not VPN'd, I get the proper timeout message from external IPs. Guess it's something to do with the IPsec passthrough. Thanks again for the reply.

Hello,

imo based my personal experience

there almost no different in between beta & stable version
each version share their own bugs / fixs
to me beta version is more like "quick patch/fix" what they find in last stable release

another reason is asus didnt set fixed schedule for their firmware release
so it cant take 2-3months or more before stable version release

so beta is okay, except you have some issue with it, then roll-back to stable

note: i didnt use/test all router function, so take what i said is basically about router basic function

like:
4. ....

what LAN IP you change to ? class A IP (10.*.*.*) ?

with 3.0.0.4.378_6065, i experiencing same issue u mention above
but aslong i use 3digit starting ip, like 192 or 172.*.*.*
it working fine

what LAN IP you change to ? class A IP (10.*.*.*) ?

with 3.0.0.4.378_6065, i experiencing same issue u mention above
but aslong i use 3digit starting ip, like 192 or 172.*.*.*
it working fine

Yes, I changed to a class A IP (10.0.0.1) ... then the issues started.. :(
It works fine with the default LAN IP.

There is no reason to Telnet to erase NVRAM a simple reset holding the reset button for 15 seconds or the WPS method works fine anything more then that is just jumping through hoops and does nothing more.