What's new

Bricked RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
My AC88U has been running perfectly for many months and then yesterday it shut down. The LAN and WPS lights are lit only faintly. if I reboot it goes to the same state. I have tried pressing the reset. I have long pressed the reset during power on and ive tried long pressing the wps during pwr on. No effect.

Any thoughts. Am I looking at an expensive paperweight now!

My AC88U has been running perfectly for many months and then yesterday it shut down. The LAN and WPS lights are lit only faintly. if I reboot it goes to the same state. I have tried pressing the reset. I have long pressed the reset during power on and ive tried long pressing the wps during pwr on. No effect.

Any thoughts. Am I looking at an expensive paperweight now!

I had a similar experience yesterday.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/one-of-my-rt-ac86us-died-and-shipped-to-asus.62318/unread

OE

Time to RMA or return/exchange it at the store purchased.

Suggest considering a newer router if a refund is offered such as the RT-AX88U or the RT-AC86U if the budget is too tight.

Suggest considering a newer router if a refund is offered

Yes except don't get a Asus router why borrow trouble. Seems it's getting harder and harder to find a decent home router with firmware that works.

@L&LD are you a SHILL for Asus. There is nothing special or different with there garbage apposed to others. You talk a lot of BS about certain ways to reset jumping people through a bunch of hoops and it's no better then any standard reset method. All your advise is HOG WASH as far as resetting a router. :rolleyes: Pressing and holding the reset button is all thats is needed anything more does nothing different period.

@Kal-EL, no, I'm not a shill for anyone. Asus + RMerlin firmware is head and shoulders above any other consumer router currently available and I am glad to have discovered them through these forums so many years ago.

The suggestions I offer are not my own (at least not the majority of them). They have been collected throughout the years on these very forums. Some from members that are still active today, just as you and I still are here. I just happen to list all of them at a single time to try and help others with a single post/link.

Glad you don't need to use anything I've suggested so far. But there are others that would disagree strongly with your un-requested and very narrow-minded opinion of their worth, not for me, but for their original posters. Some of these suggestions, for instance, are from RMerlin himself.

These suggestions are not 'common knowledge' nor have I found them anywhere else as I present them.

You may know a superior method(s) to get a network to a known/good state. Please share it if you do.

Otherwise, feel free to privately PM others who feel as you do. If you really must get it out of your system, that is. :rolleyes:

@ L&LD Fair enough I still think it's mostly just smoke and mirrors.

@Kal-EL it may be all just smoke and mirrors. But if it makes us believe that the network is functional again, as we want to use it, I'm in too. :)

I hate to get between a good old ,, disagreement,, but what about the guy with the bricked router? This did start out as his post

See post #1. His router is dead! :)

OE

This thing is still bricked. If I pwr it up the LAN and WPS lights are partially illuminated. If i press te restet button while pwr is on nothing happens. I have also tried pressing and holding resent while pwr off, then pwr on holding a few seconds and releasing> Still nothing.

I have had it a few years so im guessing its out of warranty :(

This thing is still bricked. If I pwr it up the LAN and WPS lights are partially illuminated. If i press te restet button while pwr is on nothing happens. I have also tried pressing and holding resent while pwr off, then pwr on holding a few seconds and releasing> Still nothing.

I have had it a few years so im guessing its out of warranty :(

If you are not sure, call ASUS Support and ask them. But if it's been two years, I'd shop for a new router.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!