What's new

Bridge mode and AP same time in Asus modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tablon

New Around Here
Hello guys. I have a Asus DSL-N14u but it's software features is
insufficient for me. Some of those it's lack of OpenVPN support and broken pptp client.
So i want to buying a raspberry pi, flashing OpenWRT, and using good extensions like adblocker etc. Using Asus in bridge mode and Rpi as pppoe client for my internet access. I'm trying this with Windows PC now before ordering Rpi. In this point my wireless devices connects to Asus but of course these wireless devices aren't accessing internet. While in bridge mode using Asus modem as a AP is so stupid for this scenario?
I think a USB fast ethernet adapter for Rpi, running DHCP server and cat5 to Asus only works for me. Any advice?

a pi is not going to have the routing performance you need... the ethernet port, along with all the USB ports, all run off a single USB2 port on the CPU...

(the ethernet/usb on pi/pi2/pi3 is provided by a single SMSC chipset - it's cheap, it's handy, but it ain't fast)

Hello guys. I have a Asus DSL-N14u but it's software features is
insufficient for me. Some of those it's lack of OpenVPN support and broken pptp client.
So i want to buying a raspberry pi, flashing OpenWRT, and using good extensions like adblocker etc. Using Asus in bridge mode and Rpi as pppoe client for my internet access. I'm trying this with Windows PC now before ordering Rpi. In this point my wireless devices connects to Asus but of course these wireless devices aren't accessing internet. While in bridge mode using Asus modem as a AP is so stupid for this scenario?
I think a USB fast ethernet adapter for Rpi, running DHCP server and cat5 to Asus only works for me. Any advice?
You may be interested in a Qotom mini pc which you can use as a pfSense appliance. The pfBlockerNG package blocks ads, malware and other bad stuff. These little boxes come with more powerful CPU than most consumer routers on the market. You can repurpose your old router as a WiFi AP. See the recent discussion here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/best-router-for-vpn-client.40210/

You may be interested in a Qotom mini pc which you can use as a pfSense appliance.

Must be careful with the QOTOM boxes - pfSense is going down a development path were AES-NI is a hard requirement, and the lower end QOTOM boxes based on Intel J1800/J1900 Celerons do not support AES-NI...

That being said - the J1800/J1900 processors are orders of magnitude better processing wise than the ARM's in Broadcom's 802.11ac Wave 1/2 platforms.

Must be careful with the QOTOM boxes - pfSense is going down a development path were AES-NI is a hard requirement, and the lower end QOTOM boxes based on Intel J1800/J1900 Celerons do not support AES-NI...

That being said - the J1800/J1900 processors are orders of magnitude better processing wise than the ARM's in Broadcom's 802.11ac Wave 1/2 platforms.
I noticed the same issue with the CPUs in the Protecti boxes as well. I am going to wait until pfSense 2.5 is out before I Purchase one of these boxes and exam the market place offerings at that time. Glad to seee there are some out of box solutions that can compete with Negate hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!