What's new

bridge mode problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have sometimes problems with rt-ac66u in bridge mode.
Now I have rt-ac68u as router and 2x rt-ac66u, one as bridge, one as ap.
When I changed my old 66u from router to bridge, it worked fine for few minutes, than I had to use asus restore utility to get access to it. So I cleaned nvram, installed official software, the same. After few reinstallation and cleaning nvram it is working for now, but I don't know how long it will be. I found some threads that people have problems with bridge mode. I believe, that most of us use similar devices as router or AP, so not too many tests it as bridge.
Any ideas?
I believe there is some bug in firmware (I tried bridge mode using RMerlin 55_2, 57 and newest official asus firmware) in bridge mode.

Second thing, that I would like to make in future is connect AP (66u) to this bridge. I would like to put both devices in front of each. Now it is impossible, because bridge after some time will disconnect from router and connect to stronger signal in AP and there will be loop). I don't want to use repeater mode, because it will be much slower, besides I had problems some time ago with using repeater with WPA2.
So, this is question to RMerlin - could you implement in future in your firmware possibility to attach bridge to specific device, using e.g. MAC address? I have such possibility in some small tplink device, and it would be helpfull to have something in asus.
Uff, long post..

Set them up as Access Points. If you cannot run Ethernet directly to router and AP's, then try connecting devices using a Powerline product. Direct Ethernet connections is the way to go, though.

I thought about that, but it is old house, and ap/bridge is in newly built part of the house (newly does not mean that it is new... I had not influence on cables in both parts of house..), so there are for sure different phases in circuit. I don't have possibility to borrow from someone power line adapter and test this solution.
I know that cables would be best, but... this would cost a lot now... I would need to make small renovation, and my wife don't want to have any cables or channels on walls:)
Maybe I will convince her:) in future:)