What's new

Bridge questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Natematthews

New Around Here
Hey guys

Found this site while researching and you all seem to know your stuff so I'll just ask.

Starting a new network from scratch. It's a fairly small house, rented, so wiring isn't an option.

My goal is to set the router on the main floor. I have a home theatre in the basement, with all devices hard wired in a switch.

So my questions are about how to bridge it. First off, will bridging affect the bandwidth for normal wireless clients? If so, would using one band of a triband router be more or less the same as having a third router? Specifically, if I were to use say three archer c7s vs one ac3200 and a c7 as the bridge?

Thanks guys!

I would try HomePlug AV2 before a wireless bridge. Potentially higher and more reliable throughput.

To your question, forming a bridge using one radio of a tri-radio router isn't exactly like having a third router, but pretty close to it. Tri-radio designs have local processors in each radio that offload most (all?) the Wi-Fi processing from the main CPU.

AC3200 vs. AC5300 is a good choice. AC3200 is more stable and less expensive.

Thanks!

Is there a possibility of interference on the powerline? There's a LOT of devices in the basement running on the same few outlets that the powerline would run on.

Thanks!

Is there a possibility of interference on the powerline? There's a LOT of devices in the basement running on the same few outlets that the powerline would run on.
Sure there is. There is also possibility of problems on WiFi. Can't know until you try. I'd recommend getting powerline adapters with filtered pass-through outlets and plugging the other devices into there.