What's new

Bridging a 87U with a non Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

im4gine

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum so please be nice.

I have been searching these forums as well as other sites for the past few days on how to bridge 2 wireless routers together, but none seem to do what i want it to.

I live in the UK and have recently purchased a Gigabit line to which the company has provided me with their own brand router.. can't remember the name.. some chinese manufacturer, which also offers voip services.

I also have a Asus RT AC87U on the way as there are features on there i would like to take advantage of while the companies one does not have, however i do not want to lose the VOIP ability if i were to run the Asus by itself.

I know that you can connect the Asus and another router together either wirelessly or hard wired and from their FAQ it mentions:

If you wish to use your router in addition with the router provided by Hyperoptic, you can using following steps:
  1. Connect your router’s LAN port to the LAN port of our router
  2. Disable DHCP service on your router
  3. Disable Wireless signal on the Hyperoptic device (or call us and we can disable it for you, if you only want the 3rd party router broadcasting a wireless signal)
From what i can tell, the companies router will handle DHCP while only the Asus will handle wireless.

Are there any steps where i can has Asus as the main router with control over everything, and link the second company router just for VOIP services.. and if so, which option would i go for:
Wireless Router Mode
Access Point
Media Bridge (which from what i can tell only works with same brand routers.. correct me if i'm wrong)

The only one i can find is this, but unsure whether it will work:
http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Routers

Thanks

If you don't want to use the wifi on the ISP router, have them disable the wifi if you can't, use their router as a DHCP Server, and set the Asus to AP mode. (ethernet connection from ISP router to Asus). Then you won't have to mess with the VOIP on ISP router.