What's new

[BUG] IPV6 DHCP-PD does not work with >64 prefixes on ASUSWRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ankhazam

Hello @ASUS_ASUSWRT,
mentioned bug is present in all ASUSWRT firmwares in both 378 and 380 branches up to 380_2695.

It hase been already mentioned here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/of...on-3-0-0-4-378-9177.27372/page-13#post-211944 though to raise it importance I wished to make a separate topic related to it. As mentioned in those posts user @charlie2alpha has confirmed it for his /56 prefix as I have for my /60 prefix.

Situation:
- ISP with IPV6 over DHCP-PD
- IPV6 native setting (I assume it won't matter if it is PPP* or Ethernet interface
- the ISP announces prefix delegation greater than 64 and the router fails to properly resolve routing.

My case example:

Thanks RMerlin and charlie2alpha for your responses. Well my ISP states that the CPE he provides -- a Mikrotik Routerboard works good with this his configuration by resolving one of the 16 /64 networks available within the /60 prefix, eg ::2/64 .

The thing is that ASUSWRT tries to bind itself on the whole provided /60 prefix and therefore fails to resolve the ipv6 gateway.

This is what happens:

IPv6 Connection Type: Native with DHCP-PD
WAN IPv6 Address: 2a06:[someIPV6part]::1
WAN IPv6 Gateway:
LAN IPv6 Address: 2a06:[someIPV6part]::1/60
LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address: fe80::[someotherIPV6part]:a890/64
DHCP-PD: Enabled
LAN IPv6 Prefix: 2a06:[someIPV6part]::/60
DNS Address: 2001:4860:4860::8844 2001:4860:4860::8888

and the stateful hosts are

IPv6 LAN Devices List
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hostname MAC Address IPv6 Address
Ha* [MAC1] 2a06:[someIPV6part]::66c5
An* [MAC2] 2a06:[someIPV6part]::1b16

The result:
- router is happy to confirm that it is configure with native IPV6
- some settings are passed to client computers
- the clients have no IPV6 internet access whatsoever

Sidenote:
- IPV6 confirmed to work with 6t04 setting though that's a dirty workaround when I can use native ipv6

I look forward to hearing from you,
Ank

Last edited:
I believe there are a dozen of SNB members related to ASUS who are aware of the issue ;) The question is why is there work done on this particular bug.

I have zero issues with native IPv6 using Asus routers or is there something i am missing here ?

I have zero issues with native IPv6 using Asus routers or is there something i am missing here ?

There's a number of different ways to handle ipv6, and OP's one is a bit problematic - nothing wrong with what the ISP is doing, but each ISP seems to be doing something different...

It is unfortunate IPv6 was suppose to be the next major change to surfing the web. Instead it has not taken hold and has been a source of constant issues for many people. :cool:

or jump to stable firmware from Asus without any issues simply from the UI?
ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4_380.3459

or jump to stable firmware from Asus without any issues simply from the UI?
ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4_380.3459

380.60 is compatible with the new firmware format, so yes, you will be able to directly upgrade to the newest 380_3xxxx releases, but the same limitations will still apply once on 380_3459 - reverting back will require using firmware recovery mode.

John has a couple of fixes in his fork, did he push them back over to your repo?
Back on my fork, a lot of the places where it used prefix length were hard coded to 64. I've been fixing them as I find them, but as of now, haven't changed the gui to allow the change. Note also, that the fork uses a different IPv6 stack from the later Merlin builds. This change is all Merlin AFAIK.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!