What's new

[Bug] PSK not cleared when changing WiFi settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kagehoshi

New Around Here
Repro steps: 1) Set up router with a WPA2-PSK WiFi because the OOBE doesn't allow us to proceed by leaving fields empty (which is another issue in itself). 2) Change the WPA2-PSK network to WPA2-Enterprise and save RADIUS settings. 3) Now whenever any changes are made to the WiFi configuration (for example add/remove guest networks) that will reset the wireless and display the network info page for reconnecting, the old PSK is displayed.

This probably occurs because the PSK value is not cleared from NVRAM. The expected behavior is to clear the obsolete values.

Clearing the PSK would be a bad idea, as it means anyone that "accidentally" switches to WPA-Enterprise would lose its previous settings.

The real problem is rather the displayed page doesn't check what auth method is used. This is purely cosmetical.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see why the PSK would need to be saved when changing to a new profile. For instance, if I were to switch between WPA2-PSK and WEP (oh god no), the key would need to be overwritten anyways. And if for instance I switch from WPA2-Enterprise back to WPA2-PSK, I would normally expect all my previous WPA2-PSK settings to be cleared and to start anew. I'm not too sure why one would want to keep old values in NVRAM.

I'm not too sure why one would want to keep old values in NVRAM.

Because it's probably simpler code-wise to just leave the value there - it doesn't have any negative impact on the router's behaviour or performance.

Fair enough. I suppose there isn't any secondary effects if I manually clear that value from NVRAM? It's just my OCD

Fair enough. I suppose there isn't any secondary effects if I manually clear that value from NVRAM? It's just my OCD

Not sure if it won't trigger other issues (like possibly trigger warnings about having a non-secure WPA2 key).

Now whenever any changes are made to the WiFi configuration (for example add/remove guest networks) that will reset the wireless and display the network info page for reconnecting, the old PSK is displayed.

quick question - does auth revert back to WPA2-PSK if using WPA2-Enterprise when making changes to WiFi?