What's new

Built a new FreeNas server, now I am worrying about the electric bill

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ttran55

Regular Contributor
My Promise box PS failed and I couldn't talk to it after trying hard to find a replacement PS and boot it up again. It's really suck that they advised me to get a new one in order to retrieved my data (another $300? no thanks). I managed to borrow another unit NS4600 but it couldn't import the old disks and I swear that I am done with Promise.
Lucky that I backed up most of the personal files but lost all the movies.

So I built my freeNas with this configuration
- Intel S12000BTL server board
- Intel E3-1275 Xeon processor
- 16GB ECC memory
- 450W PS ( lowest I can find to support intel MB)
- 2GB x 2 Seagate Constellation : mirror to keep important files, music, pictures, family video...
- 1.5GB x 3 Segeate barracuda: ZFS volume (strip mode) to store: ripped movies, music videos

Well, the server runs great but now I worry about the electricity bill. I reduced the CPU speed and disabled 2 cores but didn't see any drop in power consumption. Do you have any suggestion? I found the I3-2100 is compatible with my MB but I am not sure if I want to replace the Xeon with it.
Tran.

Seems you way overbuilt. To lower power you need to switch CPU and probably drives.

You should not be keeping backup files on the same physical device.

So what is your current power usage? It shouldn't be too bad. I have a server here at home with a Xeon E3-1230, 8 GB RAM, Supermicro MB, Intel PRO 1000 PT Dual port NIC, and a 500W power supply that usually runs around 45 watts at idle with the drives spun down. With 3 x 1TB 7200 RPM Hitachi drives spun up idle is about 60 watts. I would expect that your setup wouldn't be too much higher than that with the drives spun down. With the drives spun up but everything idle I would have guessed your setup would be at around 65-75 watts.

My thought would be that the I3-2100 might save some power but at idle I wouldn't expect much power savings. Just my opinion though.

00Roush

Notes: OS is VMWare ESXi 5.1 with a VM for NAS4Free and VM for Windows Server 2008 R2.