What's new

buying advice ac3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mastershake

Occasional Visitor
okay right now i have a archer c7 v2 which has started to become flaky with wireless requiring reboots etc. have not really had major issues with it other then doing some weird things at times, it was running openwrt so i flashed back to newest stock firmware with same results (actually worse imo) so looking for something new. one of my distributors carries asus, tplink, and dlink so looking to limit my choices to those brands since i can get a decent deal. leaning towards the tplink 3200 or the asus 3200. using a rt-56u right now as a backup but imo the 2.4 range is not great. for sure i get less range then i did with the c7. 5g range is not to bad and even seems a bit better then the c7 but i still have a number of devices than only run on 2.4.

any thoughts? i know they are the same platform pretty much but it seems asus already has firmware from merlin and others available while tplink might get ddwrt but probably not much else, maybe tomato. i know 3200 is more then most need etc.

any asus 3200 users and is it pretty stable yet? would you go with the tplink over the asus and if so why or visa versa?

thanks for any info and help you can be.

Depends on features. I still have a very old tp-link wireless N wifi router and that still runs stable as a wifi AP despite being years old. In my opinion consumer routers seem to break down when you use every feature of them but i have never had any issues using a proper router to handle internet and a consumer wifi router as an AP.

ASUS has better firmware and while i still have working ASUS routers acting as APs i dont know how long they last as a wifi router, i guess others can chip in.

Choosing between the ac3200 or ac68U is simple, if you have multiple wifi clients who frequently use lots of bandwidth simultaneously than you will benefit from the ac3200 but only if it exceeds your internet speeds or using on LAN. The clients must be using 5 Ghz and your internet speed must be high enough to justify the additional wifi bandwidth unless you use LAN like file and media servers. Avoid the ac87U and dlink and you will be fine.

Depends on features. I still have a very old tp-link wireless N wifi router and that still runs stable as a wifi AP despite being years old. In my opinion consumer routers seem to break down when you use every feature of them but i have never had any issues using a proper router to handle internet and a consumer wifi router as an AP.

ASUS has better firmware and while i still have working ASUS routers acting as APs i dont know how long they last as a wifi router, i guess others can chip in.

Choosing between the ac3200 or ac68U is simple, if you have multiple wifi clients who frequently use lots of bandwidth simultaneously than you will benefit from the ac3200 but only if it exceeds your internet speeds or using on LAN. The clients must be using 5 Ghz and your internet speed must be high enough to justify the additional wifi bandwidth unless you use LAN like file and media servers. Avoid the ac87U and dlink and you will be fine.
Why should he avoid D-Link?

I have the Asus AC-RT3200 , have not seen a single problem from day one. Currently running the latest Merlin firmware.

Because of security issues, When a company makes security mistakes and makes products with backdoors and doesnt want to own up to it when discovered it really shows they dont care about the customer. If a major security issue gets discovered and the company doesnt want to fix it or take responsibility than it really shows they dont have the customer in their mind. The security of dlink routers is so bad that the passwords are stored in plain text, you can get them without having to login to the router. Having a backdoor just makes it worse and its one of the major reasons why many homes are part of a botnet. Its not just the PCs that are infected but even the routers too and routers are kept turned on all the time. Do you like your household computers and networking equipment being used by some unknown person for some sinister reason?

Aside from that theres the firmware quality issue with dlink in their networking products including usb wireless adapters. Its just that bad.

okay right now i have a archer c7 v2 which has started to become flaky with wireless requiring reboots etc. have not really had major issues with it other then doing some weird things at times, it was running openwrt so i flashed back to newest stock firmware with same results (actually worse imo) so looking for something new

Look for a new AC Adapter first... random flakiness with what was a previously stable device, the power supply is most suspect...

already swapped it out with a brand new ac adapter and a far better one than it came with. i am using the rt-ac56u i had as a temporary router but having some range issues with it. i can not ever see 5 bars even with any device right next to the router the most i see is 4 bars and it cuts out much closer than the archer c7 did. the c7 2.4 range imo (at least right now) kills the 56u. i may go for the rt-ac3100 instead since it seems to be running well for most people.