What's new

Bye Bye 40 MHz Mode in 2.4 GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quick tip... if you do have a neighbor running wide channels... for example 1+5 or 7+11, you can set your own channel to 1 (in the 1+5 case) or 11 (in the 7+11) case, wide channels use channel bonding, so only one of the two channels carries signaling - signaling is always using narrow channels for compatibility purposes.

FWIW - keep on narrow channels, and the person with the wide channel actually suffers, as the signal to noise ratio across the different subcarriers is not the same (keeping this simple for lay folks).

That is a good tip, sfx. By operating in either of the two channels used in 40 MHz mode, 20 MHz fallback should also not be triggered if you decide to also operate in 40 MHz mode.

But 20 MHz mode is the best way to go for everyone involved.

I never advocate using wide channels in 2.4GHz... :cool:

Nice thing about the approach - depending on the AP's being used, it can actually trigger the 20HMz fallback - depending on the beacon signaling, but I've seen it first hand...

sfx

As I summersaulted down the rabbit's hole diagnosing a periodic WiFi connection reset on my Fiance's laptop I ran across this forum after reading the Bye Bye 40 MHz Mode in 2.4 GHz article. I work professionally in IT and am a strong believer in learning something new everyday...

Not only did I have quite a few lightbulbs burn very bright, but I am now realizing I have been both a poor neighbor and poor mate letting those around me suffer as I attempt to push the 40Mhz envelope on the 2.4Ghz channel just because I "can."

Anyways, I am tuning down the Asus router as I type this and have made these forums a destination for all things network and wireless.

Kudos and all that jazz.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!