What's new

Bypassing ISP's Transparent Proxy with Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phneeley

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

So, here's the situation. I currently live in Nigeria. Until a few days ago, I was successfully using a smart DNS service (Unblock Us) to access region restricted content such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. I've been using this service instead of a VPN because the latter slows my already slow connection so much that steaming video is next to impossible. Well, it seems that something has changed now with my ISP, as the smart DNS service is no longer working with all sites. I suspect the ISP is using a transparent DNS proxy to intercept my DNS lookup requests.

Assuming that's the case, is there someway to bypass the transparent proxy with a Merlin router? I'm a novice user so would need some good step-by-step instructions. I'm running the build 378.55 on an Asus AC66U router. The DNS servers i want to use are as follows:

Earlier I tried to adapt the instructions from here

https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-bypass-transparent-dns-proxy/

and here

https://billing.cactusvpn.com/dd-wrt-dns/?dns1=87.117.205.136&dns2=82.196.13.196

to the Merlin build by using a script in the JFFS partition, but i honestly don't know enough to get it fully configured or even know if it's technically possible in the first place.

I'd appreciate any help the community can provide. Many thanks in advance. Please let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,
P

Last edited:
Colin: Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried the DNS filtering option with no luck. As I understand it (barely), this is because DNS filtering relies on the port 53.

Jellyfish: These tests definitely confirm that my DNS is leaking.

If that is the case, you might want to snag this deal I found the other day. It's for a lifetime VPN subscription, and only $29. If you are interested, I simply ask for the kindness of using my referral ID when signing up. I don't want to get in trouble for posting links to products on here.. so if you are legitimately interested, please say so.

Probably easier talking to your ISP and ask them to give you an exception for Unblock US if they are not paid to be particularly picky on Unblock Us and the like.

Also may send a pledge to Unblock Us. Tell them your situation. Ask them to support DNSCrypt. It's the only good use case of DNSCrypt that's worthwhile IMO..If they can't do much at the moment, hope you can get a refund.

If you're desperate enough, keep your Unblock Us. Subscribe to a VPN (slow is okay). Set up the VPN for DNS queries only. It's perfectly doable on Asuswrt-Merlin. Maybe a two-week project for you if you spend one hour per night working on it. lol

is there someway to bypass the transparent proxy?
Install the TOR browser bundle to your computer, AND configure it to be a DNS resolver.
EDIT FILE: ~\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor\torrc
ADD LINE: DNSPort 127.0.0.1:53

Computer TCP Settings:
Set your preferred DNS server to: 127.0.0.1

Must keep the TOR browser running for it to resolve the DNS names.

Now you can use another browser to watch Netflix and Hulu at full speed.

Will it work?

You could also setup Entware and install TOR to the Asuswrt-Merlin router for the same effect.

Last edited:
no TOR, TOR is very insecure.
Use a DNS service that doesnt use port 53. You can also use a DNS service over VPN. Ask a friend living somewhere if you can use his router as a DNS server by creating a VPN tunnel to him.

I wouldnt mind but i block traffic from nigeria and china and once my router detects a hacking attempt the IP address is blocked forever.

Install the TOR browser bundle to your computer, AND configure it to be a DNS resolver.

This won't work or else how do you think Unblock Us collects its toll?:)

For Unblock Us to work, it must be the DNS resolver for the OP. Using TOR, queries go to "unknown" resolvers but certainly not Unblock Us.

use dnscrypt and use it over port 443 to a regional provider
Details on the setup of DNScrypt for OpenDNS can be found in this thread!

I may try it out over the weekend (when I am back from business travel) - as the weather forecast show low temp and rain for the whole weekend... :oops:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited: