What's new

Cable business Modem options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scooterit

Regular Contributor
For business internet accounts Comcast alway's installs their modem with build in router.
I am wandering if I can use just a plain DOCSIS 3 modem like the
ARRIS SURF board SB6141.

Is is possible to convince the cable company to allow me to connect the pain modem of my choice?

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

I don't know about legalities such as what name is on the service agreement, but technically, my residential 60/5Mbps from TWC is all they can do with their existing network. They've been promising an upgrade for a year in this region. Not in sight. TWC's business class modem will be the same speed. Static WAN IP is more $ yet. So it'd cost a lot more.

The SB6141 is pretty old. I rent, not purchase because I've had lots of service calls and they love to finger-point if you have a customer owned modem. But, whatever.

Also... I have two TWC devices - one is a cable/modem/phone box (Arris) used only for phone and a 2nd box that is an Arris DOCSIS 3 for cable modem only - and it is the DOCSIS flavor that can go to 100Mbps down.

If I mess with the cable modem for Internet, the phone isn't affected. The digital phone has been great.

Last edited:
Hmm in my area they offer way faster.
My main reason for asking is that their default business modem is also a router. The only way I can run my own DHCP and NAT is by creating a DMZ in this modem. I rather have a plain DOCIS 3.X modem (I prefer to buy my own and of course latest model) and have full control over the rest myself.

For business internet accounts Comcast alway's installs their modem with build in router.
I am wandering if I can use just a plain DOCSIS 3 modem like the
ARRIS SURF board SB6141.

Is is possible to convince the cable company to allow me to connect the pain modem of my choice?

Should be able to - call Customer Care (yeah, Comcast, but you're a biz customer so perhaps a bit less pain) - with Biz connections there might be some value added for you (and them), and biz connections usually have a service level agreement that residential connections don't have.

Operator provided Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) - might not have all the bells/whistles of an off the shelf router/AP, but generally they just work, and if their gear meets your needs -

They do a fair amount of testing, not just the modem, but the routing and WiFi capabilities, and the emphasis is a baseline performance level, and stability is key if they're providing the modem/router/AP.

The SB6141 is pretty old. I rent, not purchase because I've had lots of service calls and they love to finger-point if you have a customer owned modem. But, whatever.

The SB6141 has been around for a while, and it's a solid cable modem for most - I have my own, not provided by the operator, but it's the same model they do offer if you ask - and CoxHSI, unlike TWC, doesn't take the route of finger-pointing, as while I own the modem, they configure it, and again, it's one of the devices they would rent out in any event.

If someone were to ask what I would recommend (and they have), hard to go wrong with the 6141...

Hmm in my area they offer way faster.
My main reason for asking is that their default business modem is also a router. The only way I can run my own DHCP and NAT is by creating a DMZ in this modem. I rather have a plain DOCIS 3.X modem (I prefer to buy my own and of course latest model) and have full control over the rest myself.

Should be able to put their modem/gateway into bridge mode and then you have total control...

Depends on what your priorities are - running the business or managing the network.

One cant put these modem/router combo's into bridge mode. The only way to get around it is by creating a DMZ.
I need to run my own router with dual wan and manage some other tasks..

Not sure if cable is right for businesses. The shared medium doesnt come through during peak traffic or times. The cable companies will boast of their speeds but they cant give those speeds to each customer.

Not sure if cable is right for businesses. The shared medium doesnt come through during peak traffic or times. The cable companies will boast of their speeds but they cant give those speeds to each customer.
that's not been my experience... I get consistent speeds even in busy hours. I live in very high density suburban.

Business class is not recommended by me due to the high cost vs. residential service with no added speed. The residential terms of service do preclude (usually) operation of a busy server.

TimeWarner's advertised biz class rates are a measly 10Mbps down for $100/month. Absurd.

One cant put these modem/router combo's into bridge mode. The only way to get around it is by creating a DMZ.
I need to run my own router with dual wan and manage some other tasks..

Some GW's can't be put into Bridge mode, some can - if it is operator provided gear... I would reach out to their support team, explain that you have your own modem - shouldn't be a problem to provision it, and then you can run things from there....

@stevech - the only upsides I see for Biz class is that generally they'll provide a static IP and don't prohibit servers - and there might be some better service level agreements with a biz account - priority support, etc... the other thing is that with a biz account, they usually will commit to an "at least" number rather than an "up to..." number.

@System Error Message - I've got a couple of folks that run cable (only available choice in their area, too far away for anything else without Major $$$ to run something out) - no issues noted with their stuff during normal business hours on CoxHSI - they're close to a residential area, and busy/peak times tend to be early to late evening... and the network in the area is pretty fast...