What's new

(Calling All GT-AC5300 Owners) Looks Like Asus Had A Change Of Heart With The GT-AC5300 GPL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinus

New Around Here
It would seem Asus had a change of heart about keeping the GT GPL locked down - they started posting the last few versions, including the most recent for the GT-AC5300 and they have posted the GPL to the release and current firmware of the GT-AX11000.

I'd like to hope they have had a change of heart and keep it up, as this was one of the three reasons Merlin has given for the lack of support.

I think the other two - the amount of work involved in supporting this specific model, and its low popularity due to its high price - can be overcome if we owners are willing to band together and donate.

I'd be willing to throw down $100 for Merlin if it will help him add support.

Who's with me?

I'd like that too but he's already stated he's too busy now. That GT-AC5300 was a much different interface than the RT version. Think I'm going to sell mine and get the RT-AX88U.

I’d support this as well.

Is there an alternate Asus tri-band router that has hardware accelerated VPN like the GT & 86U?

I'm sorry, but it's a matter of time and the amount of work involved, not a matter of money. This project remains a hobby I work on in my spare time, and that time is a limited resource. I already had to drop a few models over the past year to be able to deal with the increased work involved in maintaining this project.

I'm sorry, but it's a matter of time and the amount of work involved, not a matter of money. This project remains a hobby I work on in my spare time, and that time is a limited resource. I already had to drop a few models over the past year to be able to deal with the increased work involved in maintaining this project.

If you had to estimate out the tasks for adding support for the GT-AC5300, how many hours do you think it would total?

If you had to estimate out the tasks for adding support for the GT-AC5300, how many hours do you think it would total?

The problem is more upkeep. A project like this is very demanding to maintain, even more so for one developer whereas Asus internally have a whole team dedicated to it. The GT-* devices have a whole feature-set unique to just those models which would have to be tested every update. It would essentially double the work load.

We should be thankful that @RMerlin provides support for the models he does already to over 150,000 users. He has respectfully asked many times for users to stop requesting this model to be supported even if your intentions are completely positive in doing so.

The problem is more upkeep. A project like this is very demanding to maintain, even more so for one developer whereas Asus internally have a whole team dedicated to it. The GT-* devices have a whole feature-set unique to just those models which would have to be tested every update. It would essentially double the work load.

We should be thankful that @RMerlin provides support for the models he does already to over 150,000 users. He has respectfully asked many times for users to stop requesting this model to be supported even if your intentions are completely positive in doing so.

Respectfully, I have a right to ask for specific details why it's such a large task that Merlin will never support it.

I have no reason to be thankful as Merlin-WRT has never supported a device I own. I've already thrown over $100 anyway, knowing there was a solid chance it never will.

Attempting to group some wanting owners together to provide a substantial financial inscentive to overcome the three stated reasons for lack of support, which appear to have dissolved into a single reason, is not the same as asking "why doesnt Merlin support my router? Wahh!"

Based on Merlin's response, even if I rallied several hundred dollars in donations, it would seem he is not interested.

Asus isn't going to stop making GT devices. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually more model tiers are converted as new versions are released.

I was beginning to ask for extra details to get a better picture of the work involved with the single integration for support, not upkeep. There is a possibility I may take a stab at it myself, but I would be starting with a significant disadvantage.

I'd like that too but he's already stated he's too busy now. That GT-AC5300 was a much different interface than the RT version. Think I'm going to sell mine and get the RT-AX88U.

Unfortunately you’re correct. Sell it off on eBay.

Why don't you and the other GT-AC5300 owners download the gpl then learn how to modify to your liking and compile it?
May take a few times of trial and error but soon you will be a pro at it.

Why don't you and the other GT-AC5300 owners download the gpl then learn how to modify to your liking and compile it?
May take a few times of trial and error but soon you will be a pro at it.

Justinus said:
I was beginning to ask for extra details to get a better picture of the work involved with the single integration for support, not upkeep. There is a possibility I may take a stab at it myself, but I would be starting with a significant disadvantage.

I started an attempt on setting up the environment yesterday but I stopped after running into a few issues. I planned to slowly chip away at setting it up and familiarizing myself with the code.

Last edited:
We should all be grateful for what Merlin does. He doesn't work for SNB forums, he doesn't work for Asus. He has a day job and is not obligated to do what he does. And yet he takes time to write code and check in on the forum and answer dumb questions from noobs like myself. Somehow thank you just doesn't seem like adequate compensation and I doubt the donation thread provides more than beer money, if that. Stop complaining about what he doesn't and can't do. He could throw up his hands and quit at any time and then where would that leave us. OK, down off the soap box.

We should all be grateful for what Merlin does. He doesn't work for SNB forums, he doesn't work for Asus. He has a day job and is not obligated to do what he does. And yet he takes time to write code and check in on the forum and answer dumb questions from noobs like myself. Somehow thank you just doesn't seem like adequate compensation and I doubt the donation thread provides more than beer money, if that. Stop complaining about what he doesn't and can't do. He could throw up his hands and quit at any time and then where would that leave us. OK, down off the soap box.

I very clearly started this thread to rally donations and support in an attempt to make the effort worthwhile for Merlin to add support for the gaming routers because a fundamental reason he has not has changed.

I'm sorry that my attempt to bring further donations to Merlin to continue adding support to the firmware came across as a complaint about him not doing it.

The amount of white knighting in this thread is ridiculous. Merlin has come in and laid out the fact that the real thing stopping support currently is the amount of work required is larger than the amount of free time he can devote to it. I've already said I'm giving a shot to looking at how to do it myself.

Apparently asking questions that would help me do that is not allowed.

How about everyone read the whole thread before posting?

It's not something I can quantify in a specific number of hours, because it's a recurring thing, as @Adamm noted, not just the initial implementation. For instance:

- Every time I make a change to the webui, I'd also have to re-apply it to the GT-specific pages, and test it specifically on these. That means compiling (HND firmwares take close to 30 mins to compile each), plugging the GT-AC5300, flashing it, then test things out
- Every time I start working on a new release, it's one additional GPL to wait for Asus to release, to merge into the code, and to test
- One more model to specifically flash/test/debug, as it's significantly different enough from the RT-AC86U so I can't assume that any change that works on the AC86U will also work on the GT-AC5300

And if I start supporting the GT-AC5300, you can expect the GT-AX11000 crowd to also come knocking.

Respectfully, I have a right to ask for specific details why it's such a large task that Merlin will never support it.

I have no reason to be thankful as Merlin-WRT has never supported a device I own. I've already thrown over $100 anyway, knowing there was a solid chance it never will.

If you took 5 minutes searching the forum you would see Merlin has explained exactly why he won't support this model many times over. He must be sick of hearing about it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!