What's new

Can a RT-AC66R/U have the same functionality as a HOOTOO Titan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CHuntMD

New Around Here
Not sure if the term is right but the HOOTOO can connect to a wifi network (think hotel with www page signon screen) then on a seperate IP range (usually 10.10.x.x) bridge the two networks. If you only have one signon account you can use 2+ devices at the same time.

Downside...it's slow.

I have a old Asus N56U with a not very popular chipset.
I also have a spare RT-AC66R but it also seems unpopular.

I'm trying to help my folks when they head to a timeshare for a few weeks. I'm only 1000 miles away! There is no hard-wire net connection in the condo.

Hardware/firmware suggestions?

CEH in MD

Not that I know of. I bought a Hootoo HT-TM02 TripMate Nano for this exact use case. It worked just fine.

I have noticed that my Pixel 3 will do this also. Not sure if it's a Pixel feature or Android 9 feature. In the past when I turned on the hotspot the phone would turn off wifi. Now it keeps wifi on and the second device connected to the hotspot is reporting the ISP and WAN IP of the wifi network that the phone is on.

Not sure if the term is right but the HOOTOO can connect to a wifi network (think hotel with www page signon screen) then on a seperate IP range (usually 10.10.x.x) bridge the two networks. If you only have one signon account you can use 2+ devices at the same time.

Downside...it's slow.

Gl.iNET router (currently) for me it offers higher speeds than my previous HooToo router.

Most routers, I have used call it WISP (for wireless isp ?) for bridging a public wifi (captive portals) to a private one, or more. The main reason I went with Gl.iNet was it supports Open VPN profiles and it can protect all devices behind it. Not sure ab0ut HooToo as its a bit since I owned that model.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!