What's new

Can a TL-PA8030P work as a PLC repeater?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

antlarr

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a TL-PA8030P kit (HomePlug AV2, AV1200) with each device in one extreme of my house since the ISP router is in one extreme and the living room is in the opposite side (the house also seems to have a bad shape for wifi networks since it's quite long in one dimension, I also have an ASUS RT-AC3200 and it's hardly reaching the other end but this question is about PLC :) ).

The network connections are as follows:

PC <--eth--> ISP router <--eth--> TL-PA8030P-1 <--powerline--> TL-PA8030P-2 <--eth--> Laptop

Where all ethernet cables are cat6 and all are Gigabit interfaces.
The electrical wiring is probably > 50 m. I'm not sure if radial or ring shape. I'm only using Linux systems, but I installed a virtual machine to test the tpPLC utility. For the speed tests I use iperf3 with idle systems at both ends.

Speed from PC to Laptop seems to be around 17 MB/s (145 Mbps). The tpPLC utility says I have 470 Mbps on that direction.

Speed from Laptop to PC is around 21 MB/s (168 Mbps) in the best case. Sometimes as slow as the previous case. The tpPLC utility says I have 380 Mbps on that direction.

If I change the power socket of TL-PA8030P-2 to another socket closer to the power breaker, I get up to 31 MB/s (267Mbps) and tpPLC says the link speed is 985 Mbps.

Many power sockets in the house don't have ground connectors so I can't test in many other power sockets. But the ones the I'm using for the connections have them.

So I have two questions for the experts in here:

1) I understand the line speed is higher than the data bandwidth due to network overhead and all that. But is the overhead that big? it's nearly 4 times the data bandwidth! With a 1200 Mbps PLC kit I expected to have a theoretical maximum of 150 MB/s, a practical maximum of maybe 70 MB/s. Which is the maximum speed anyone has ever gotten out of such a device?

2) I've seen that the HomePlug AV2 specification mentions a PLC signal repeater function. Anybody knows if the TL-PA8030P kit implements it? Do you think adding another PA8030P device in that power socket in the middle, would help?

Thanks!

2) I've seen that the HomePlug AV2 specification mentions a PLC signal repeater function. Anybody knows if the TL-PA8030P kit implements it? Do you think adding another PA8030P device in that power socket in the middle, would help?

Repeater is in the spec, but I don't know if Qualcomm-Atheros has implemented it in the firmware - best to ask TP-Link directly.

Many power sockets in the house don't have ground connectors so I can't test in many other power sockets. But the ones the I'm using for the connections have them.

get an outlet checker (they're cheap) and ensure that the ground is actually connected...

HPAV AV1200 can use MIMO by using all three wires - Hot, Neutral, and Ground to get the higher PHY rates..

Repeating is in the HomePlug AV2 spec, but not generally implemented. The information I have is that they found it didn't really help.

Check the powerline charts to see tested throughput. The numbers you are quoting are reasonable. Throughput falls off quite quickly with distance between adapters.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view

Use the selector next to the benchmark selector to see throughput in different test locations. Location E is our worst case test location.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/bar/90-down?see=P_E

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!