What's new

Can Asus RT-AC66U+ (B1) run Asuswrt-merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hhjauddr

New Around Here
Hello guys,
Must appreciate Merlin and everybody's contributions here. Recently Asus released their "brand new" RT-AC66U, RT-AC66U+ (RT-AC66U B1 in some regions). (https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/), although Asus didn't talk too much on it, but it's definitely the successor of the RT-AC66U. I did a comparison from their site, the significant improvement in the outlook is the USB3.0 in the front side.
c6AZ9Ll.jpg

However, it has other great improvements inside, one is the CPU is upgraded from BCM4706 to BCM4708, now it's a dual core product and actually more close to RT-AC68U, but with reasonable price. (In Taiwan, it took me around 140USD)

Because of the upgrade/change, I am wondering if the original Asuswrt-merlin for RT-AC66U can still apply to RT-AC66U+? or I need to wait for a new version? (@Merlin: WE NEED YOU~~~)

Thanks.

I would flash it and see. :) You're still in the return period, right? ;)

If it doesn't work, you should still be able to use the Asus Rescue mode to flash back the original firmware (make sure you download the current firmware first).

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/HelpDesk_Download/

But what I think you'll find is that there are a lot of features that won't be on the RMerlin firmware that the new 'B1 offers.

(There is a huge difference in the size of the download between the original and the 'B1 versions, almost 10MB).

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC66U/HelpDesk_Download/

If the CPU is different, then the RT-AC66U firmware will definitely NOT work.

The RT-AC68U firmware might work, but it's not guaranteed.

Hi guys:
Thanks for the replies, all gave my courage to flash the Merlin AC68U to my AC66U+ (380.62_1). And guess what? it works like a charm!! Although I still not test all the functionalities, I suppose based on the same components, architecture, the AC66U+ should work just like a AC68U. How do you think?

kFvVNjv.jpg

Hi guys:
Thanks for the replies, all gave my courage to flash the Merlin AC68U to my AC66U+ (380.62_1). And guess what? it works like a charm!! Although I still not test all the functionalities, I suppose based on the same components, architecture, the AC66U+ should work just like a AC68U. How do you think?

kFvVNjv.jpg

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Make sure you follow the steps on the links above to make sure you're testing the firmware installed and not the interaction of the old firmware vs. new firmware. ;)

Hi hhjauddr,

How did it go so far with running RMerlin on your RT-AC66U Rev. B1?

I just bought it, and when I went to RMerlin's website I saw that it's clearly stated that the firmware doesn't support B1 :(

From this thread, it seems that it works with B1.

So...I don't understand why Merlin mentioned that it doesn't support B1 on the website :confused:

Anybody know?

So...I don't understand why Merlin mentioned that it doesn't support B1 on the website

This is because I don't have any official information yet, and also because Asus made it VERY confusing, by using the hardware of an RT-AC68U, and putting the label on an RT-AC66U. If I start telling people to flash an RT-AC66U with the firmware of an RT-AC68U, there will be a bunch of people who will flash the wrong firmware on the wrong model, and end up with a brick. There will be another bunch of people who will flash the RT-AC66U firmware, and also brick their router.

And I don't have one either, so I can't test anything, and I can't determine if any other code changes would be required to FULLY support it, rather than a "it mostly work" result.

I don't want to deal with this mess, therefore I chose not to officially support this model. If someone wants to experiment with it, they're doing so at their own risks - I won't take any responsibility for any issues. So, I did the simplest thing to do, was to officially state that I do not support it.

This is because I don't have any official information yet, and also because Asus made it VERY confusing, by using the hardware of an RT-AC68U, and putting the label on an RT-AC66U. If I start telling people to flash an RT-AC66U with the firmware of an RT-AC68U, there will be a bunch of people who will flash the wrong firmware on the wrong model, and end up with a brick. There will be another bunch of people who will flash the RT-AC66U firmware, and also brick their router.

And I don't have one either, so I can't test anything, and I can't determine if any other code changes would be required to FULLY support it, rather than a "it mostly work" result.

I don't want to deal with this mess, therefore I chose not to officially support this model. If someone wants to experiment with it, they're doing so at their own risks - I won't take any responsibility for any issues. So, I did the simplest thing to do, was to officially state that I do not support it.

Thank you so much, Merlin. I really appreciate you work and high standard.

I read in other thread that you don't do development anymore. Is there any plan in the near future that you might do some testing on B1?

Btw, is it possible to use ASUS recovery utility to recover bricked ac66u?

I read in other thread that you don't do development anymore. Is there any plan in the near future that you might do some testing on B1?

I'm not sure where you've read that, especially since I've released two new versions over the past week.

What I did mention a few months ago was that development would slow down, especially regarding the development of new features. The focus will be mostly on maintaining the existing code, keeping in sync with Asus's own changes if it remains possible, and the usual minor tweaks and bugfixes.

My focus is on high-end models, so as I wrote, at this point there are no plan for officially supporting the RT-AC66U HW rev B1, especially as I don't have one.

Btw, is it possible to use ASUS recovery utility to recover bricked ac66u?

In theory it should be, but since I don't have that model and there's limited information available about it, I cannot guarantee it.

I'm not sure where you've read that, especially since I've released two new versions over the past week.

What I did mention a few months ago was that development would slow down, especially regarding the development of new features. The focus will be mostly on maintaining the existing code, keeping in sync with Asus's own changes if it remains possible, and the usual minor tweaks and bugfixes.

My focus is on high-end models, so as I wrote, at this point there are no plan for officially supporting the RT-AC66U HW rev B1, especially as I don't have one.

In theory it should be, but since I don't have that model and there's limited information available about it, I cannot guarantee it.

Hi Merlin,

My apology. I am new to this forum and with ASUS.
Yes, I saw that old post of yours and I wasn't aware that you have released two new versions last week.

I am glad to hear that you're actively working on the firmware again.
I posted here originally thinking that you're not working on the firmware anymore.

Anyway, thank you so much. I will sit patiently for your official RT-AC66U B1 firmware.

Thank you.

I also tried the AC68U firmware and it appears to work fine, no trouble so far.
Will do some testing the next couple of days and update this thread if I encounter any troubles...

I agree totaly that ASUS has made it extremely confusing for no obvious reason and apparently can't keep the two models apart themselves neither. The RT-AC66U that I bought a couple of weeks ago has a label on the box that says H/W Ver.: B1 but on the status page it reports two USB 2.0-ports and one core. If it had been a B1 there should have been two USB 3.0-ports and two cores as I understand it. Or is that software dependent? Could ASUS have put the former firmware on a B1 router? Its current firmware is ASUS original ver 3.0.0.4.380_4005.

If this source of confusion is not pointed out people will start bricking their routers.

Thanks for the screendump hhjauddr.

I agree totaly that ASUS has made it extremely confusing for no obvious reason and apparently can't keep the two models apart themselves neither. The RT-AC66U that I bought a couple of weeks ago has a label on the box that says H/W Ver.: B1 but on the status page it reports two USB 2.0-ports and one core. If it had been a B1 there should have been two USB 3.0-ports and two cores as I understand it. Or is that software dependent? Could ASUS have put the former firmware on a B1 router? Its current firmware is ASUS original ver 3.0.0.4.380_4005.

If this source of confusion is not pointed out people will start bricking their routers.

Thanks for the screendump hhjauddr.

It's a single core version of the BCM4708/9, just like the RT-AC56S. So it's an ARM architecture just like the RT-AC68U.

I suspect it's also having USB 2.0 ports.

Consideration of Asus to upgrade the AC66U to dual core was most likely because the processors and other components got cheaper.
They however should have given it a new serial number designation (e.g. AC66X or AC67..) instead of just a revision change.

It is clear that Asus didn't make this hardware upgrade with Custom Firmware developers in mind, which is unfortunate.
I completely understand Merlin's decision to not support this model and run into problems, it is all on Asus!

I completely understand Merlin's decision to not support this model and run into problems, it is all on Asus!

No matter what decision Merlin has made or will make people are likely to run into problems due to ASUS decision. Those that buys this model from now on might get a B1 and if they are not cautious they run the risk of flashing the wrong firmware.

The important thing to do is to make it very clear how to tell them apart. What to look for on the label, what to look for in the original firmware, photos and screen dumps.

I get my AC66U B1 tomorrow. Any feedback from you who have used the AC68U firmware for this router? Good or bad? BB.

Update: Flashed the AC66U_B1 with the AC68U 380.63-2 and I am impressed how well this router works! No issues so far and the Adaptive QOS seems to be working as it should (no complaints from the family when I do a big download!)

Last edited:
After doing some research I think there are 2 versions of AC66U B1:
  • AC66U, rev. B1 (1 core, USB2)
  • AC66U B1, rev. A1 (2 cores, USB3)
It's confusing that there are two "B1" versions - one a hardware revision and the other a product name change.

Last edited:
After doing some research I think there are 2 versions of AC66U B1:
  • AC66U, rev. B1 (1 core, USB2)
  • AC66U B1, rev. A1 (2 cores, USB3)
It's confusing that there are two "B1" versions - one a hardware revision and the other a product name change.

Can you please tell us how you came to this conclusion?

Can you please tell us how you came to this conclusion?

The box label for AC66U (note it says rev B1):

hRWiQvd.jpg

The box label for AC66U B1 (note it says rev A1):

Ngu3y0k.jpg

Unboxing video for the AC66U B1 (where I got the 2nd photo from), shows an updated box design: