What's new

Can I use a router (RT-AC56U) in AP mode as DHCP server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XIII

Very Senior Member
It seems like I can't use a router (RT-AC56U) in AP mode as a DHCP server. Is that correct?

Reason for asking: a family member has a pretty limited router (from their provider), which can only assign 10 static IP addresses, while they have more devices. They do have a discontinued RT-AC56U in AP mode in the basement to provide Wi-Fi over there. Would be nice if that router could be a better DHCP server for their network...

I guess a potential workaround would be to leave it in router mode, but don't correct anything to the WAN port - just connect one of the LAN ports with the rest of the network (and make sure it will be the only DHCP server running).

If you do it as suggested, other than making sure it is the only DHCP server, you'll just have to make it is allocating and assigning the correct address range and gateway address.

If you can't disable DHCP on the router with limited addressing, you could also double NAT (assuming these addresses are private) and just connect the WAN port to the ISP router. For most scenarios this should work pretty seamlessly.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Consider what value there is for them in having reserved IP addresses for their devices.

It might be different for you and I who have more sophisticated networks, e.g. port forwarding, VPN routing, etc. But for the average non-technical user that never logs into their router and wouldn't understand what they were looking at if they did it is of little value.

Are you wanting to do this because there's a need or just because you can?

P.S. Don't take this as a criticism of your idea, it's not. I'm merely asking the question.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!