What's new

Can I use an "AC" Access Point with an "N" Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Juggernaut

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I saw some prior posts about this from a few years ago, but I did not really follow the answers.

I have an N router and I plan to set up an ethernet wired Access Point.
Should I purchase an AC Access Point or an N Access Point, when I am using an N router?

(I know that even an AC router will not cover the areas I need covered, so an Access Point will be needed regardless of the router used - I eventually will upgrade to an AC router at some point).

Thanks!
Juggernaut

One upside with an 802.11ac router is that normally most will have more CPU horsepower, which translates into better routing performance...

I would put the AC router as primary, and perhaps use the 11n Router as an AP to fill any coverage gaps...

You can use an N router, but an AC would get you higher speeds on the 5Ghz, however it all depends on your needs. I had an 600N router myself till 2014 when I started beta testing. My old N router covered my whole house and was fine streaming content even 2 floors down. I mean I love my current AC router which is significantly more powerful chipset wise and allows much higher speeds and range, clearing up a few dead spots along the way and not to mention significantly higher speeds to my NAS (6 MB/s vs 40 MB/s 15 ft away) while on WiFi but I could still very well have survived on my old n router.

Last edited:
One upside with an 802.11ac router is that normally most will have more CPU horsepower, which translates into better routing performance...

I would put the AC router as primary, and perhaps use the 11n Router as an AP to fill any coverage gaps...

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but your reply suggests to me that an AC Access Point is the same thing as an AC router - I thought that they were different things?

Are all AC Access Points able to function as an AC router?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but your reply suggests to me that an AC Access Point is the same thing as an AC router - I thought that they were different things?

Are all AC Access Points able to function as an AC router?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Routers can function as APs, but there are dedicated APs which don't have a routing functions, the latter is what I assume you are looking for?

I think what SFX2000 was trying to say is that since AC routers are newer they generally have far more powerful chipsets than their old n counterparts which would help in terms of handling greater network loads.

You can use an n or ac access point with your n router, ac is probably better if you intend to upgrade your router which you probably would at some point anyway.

I run 3 Cisco WAP321 wireless units. They are N units. I was able to buy them cheap. I set them up on 5GHz 40MHz wide. They work great probably not as good as the WAP371 AC units but I saved a ton of money. My setup is one unit in a back window to cover my picnic table outside. 5GHz will not go through my brick walls. So having AC versions would probably not buy me anything as they are not going to go through brick either. I use Cisco's one point setup to configure all the units to work as one.

I have an N router and I plan to set up an Ethernet wired Access Point.
Should I purchase an AC Access Point or an N Access Point, when I am using an N router?
Outside of a few bucks I can't see a downside to using an AC access point (assuming dual band with both radios operating concurrently, but, really, are there any that don't?) to your N router. Especially if you have (or will have) AC clients. Once it all hits the wire to the router it ain't gonna make a difference (and if the AC AP gets it to the wire quicker all the better).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!