What's new

Can OpenVPN for a specific VLAN be implemented w/ Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

daedex

Occasional Visitor
As the title suggests, I have this question before I pull the trigger on a RT-AC66U.

Edit: I said VLAN, but as colin pointed out below, I didnt realize i do not need VLANS.

The ultimate goal is such:
  • OpenVPN specific for one SSID, say guest wifi: All devices connected to this wifi network will egress through OpenVPN
  • All other SSID's egress normally through ISP
Question 1: can this be accomplished with just one router?
Because, In my mind, I was thinking that since I already have an RT-AX88U, I need another router, so I was going to purchase a RT-AC66U, throw merlin on it, and connect the WAN port on the 66U to a switch port on the 88U. Then have the OpenVPN configuration files setup on the 66U (the nitty gritty details are still fuzzy to me, so these are my attempted broad strokes).

Has anyone attempted this? Would this work? I am finding nada on google regarding this question, so I would like to ask this community.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
What are your performance requirements for this OpenVPN connection?

The RT-AC66U will make for a very poor VPN appliance if your ISP speeds are greater than about 25Mbps up/down (symmetrical).

Reactions: a5m
What are your performance requirements for this OpenVPN connection?

The RT-AC66U will make for a very poor VPN appliance if your ISP speeds are greater than about 25Mbps up/down (symmetrical).

Hmmm i hadnt thought of that. But for the scope of the project, assume performance requirements are limited to trivial web browsing (not including streaming).

Sorry, I should have clarified, i saw some scripts and had assumed merlin allows VPN's, but if I am wrong about that, then this question is moot.
There are some hackish scripts that attempt to create VLANs but your original post seems more concerned with guest WiFi and VPN routing. There's nothing in it particularly related to VLANs.

@daedex, did you see the link in post 5 above?

There are some hackish scripts that attempt to create VLANs but your original post seems more concerned with guest WiFi and VPN routing. There's nothing in it particularly related to VLANs.

You are absolutely right. okay, so i updated my initial post and my bullet points to reflect the "ultimate goal"

I correlated in my mind that doing this would require different VLANS.

@daedex, did you see the link in post 5 above?
I did. I am reading it and will attempt to test this in the near future, thank you for the support. you and Colin set me straight. I guess the goal will then be to make the guest SSID wifi network route through OpenVPN instead of VLANS