What's new

Can some Identify this for me please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

richyrich

New Around Here
Hi all, anyone know what the second entry might be, the top is Google chromecast.

It's Xerox with a mac address of all zeros.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 13.34.12.png

I suspect the MAC address is bogus and it's not really a Xerox device (Xerox owns the MAC addresses starting at 0).

It's probably a badly made IoT device somewhere (wireless headset, etc). Judging by the signal strength it looks close by, maybe it's the chromecast. Try turning things off to identify it.

I suspect the MAC address is bogus and it's not really a Xerox device (Xerox owns the MAC addresses starting at 0).

It's probably a badly made IoT device somewhere (wireless headset, etc). Judging by the signal strength it looks close by, maybe it's the chromecast. Try turning things off to identify it.

Will do. Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

Had time to check and think it was tp-link device. Have a weird mac address showing now. Anyone have any idea what the top one maybe.
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 18.13.29.png

May I google it for you? :oops:
The first result in the list is the answer...

As the device is far away -87 dBm - it could be a neighbor's Alexa!? :rolleyes:

Alas, no. Google changed your search from 72:75:48 to 74:75:48. There is no vendor associated with 72:75:48.

@richyrich You said you think it's a tp-link device, why do you say that?
Hi Colin, I thought the first one was a tp link device because when I turned it off it disappeared.
That mac address got me baffled though.
Think my router has been cloned.
Is that possible?

Also when I ping the first hop is 102ms but the others are only 12ms?

@Merlin wireshark does not recognise that Mac address?

Last edited:
Hi Colin, I thought the first one was a tp link device because when I turned it off it disappeared.
That mac address got me baffled though.
Well it sounds like the tp-link then. Is the tp-link a repeater? I've heard of repeaters that create fake MAC addresses for their clients.

Am I missing something? That looks like a list of the WiFi networks nearby, rather than connected devices.

Am I missing something? That looks like a list of the WiFi networks nearby, rather than connected devices.

The Xerox one baffled me a bit because it was so strong and my neighbours are 20 meters away but yeah, like you say they are nearby networks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!