What's new

Cannot access private shares using hostname

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caple

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone.
A friend has a problem with his network that I was unable to help. As he does not speak english, I'm posting here to help him.

He has a Western Digital My Book World, with some public folders and a private one.
He has a desktop PC and a notebook.
From the notebook he can access everything, no matter if he uses \\mybookworld or \\ip_address.
From the desktop he is able to access everything ONLY when using \\mybookworld. If he uses \\ip_address he is able to access the public folders but not the private one. It doesn't even ask for a password. It tells him the shared folder is not accessible or he does not have permission.

He can ping the NAS, from the PC, using the IP and the hostname.
The PC does not have more than one IP configured.
He already tried another IP on the PC to make sure it was not some kind of blocked IP.

Something to consider: it is a brand new i7 machine, but he had the exactly same problem with his older i5.
So, where does the problem rely?

Any clue?

Thanx.

Hi everyone.
A friend has a problem with his network that I was unable to help. As he does not speak english, I'm posting here to help him.

He has a Western Digital My Book World, with some public folders and a private one.
He has a desktop PC and a notebook.
From the notebook he can access everything, no matter if he uses \\mybookworld or \\ip_address.
From the desktop he is able to access everything ONLY when using \\mybookworld. If he uses \\ip_address he is able to access the public folders but not the private one. It doesn't even ask for a password. It tells him the shared folder is not accessible or he does not have permission.

He can ping the NAS, from the PC, using the IP and the hostname.
The PC does not have more than one IP configured.
He already tried another IP on the PC to make sure it was not some kind of blocked IP.

Something to consider: it is a brand new i7 machine, but he had the exactly same problem with his older i5.
So, where does the problem rely?

Any clue?

Thanx.

Please make sure he has the router IP address set as one of the DNS servers. Local network addresses of 10.x.x.x, 192.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x are not routable over the internet and if you are using external DNS servers, your local network devices may not resolve properly.

He is using 192.168.0.1 on the router and IPs assigned by MAC address. The PC gets 192.168.0.2 and the NAS gets 192.168.0.3.
Nothing else was changed.
It's really strange, as the previous PC had the exactly same problem.

Are they all part of the same WORKGROUP - samba is funny like this, and win10 doesn't help much here with things.

(not shouting..)

try the following command on both machines - compare notes between the different machines and make the appropriate changes

net config workstation

should see something like this on a simple LAN setup

Computer Name \\<MACHINENAME>
Full Computer name <machinename>
user name <someusername>

snip

Workstation domain <WORKGROUP>
Logon domain <MACHINENAME>

Both are part of the same WORKGROUP. I believe he messed up on the router config and does not remeber what he did. Or it's a very specific setting on his main computer, wich he used to set on the old computer too, that is making it happen.
I'll talk to him again.
Thanx for the reply.

I had to turn off SAMBA 2 & 3 on my home network to get sharing to work on Windows 10. This is a known problem with Windows 10 after the 1511 (?) update. This affects Windows 10 to 7 and even Windows 10 to Windows 10 machines.

He does not have problem with sharing on Wndows 10.
The share is on his NAS, a WD My Book World. He can access it using hostname (\\mybookworld). He can access private and public shares.
If he uses \\192.168.0.3 he can only access public shares. Private shares do not even ask for the password.
And he had the same problem when using a Windows 7 machine.

Change the SMB password on the NAS box - Windows has a bad problem about this... it assumes unless told otherwise...

Change the SMB password on the NAS box - Windows has a bad problem about this... it assumes unless told otherwise...
No luck. He did it already.
As I said before, I believe he messed up some config. Dunno where.
I'll try to discover it next time I come by his place.

Yeah, well check the item I mentioned above with "net" and workgroups...

If the device can't see the workgroup, it cannot login...

Hard, at least for me, to say it just looking the command output.

7Mnxo59.png

See the pic - that's his problem...

His MS account and the login...

As I said before, the problem occured on his old computer too (Windows 7 machine). And he didn't have it tied to his MS account.

His MS account and the login...

Grr - windows 10.... if you're not part of a domain, and you follow the default setup, then it binds the USERNAME to the "Windows" account, and yet it doesn't...

No easy way out of this - you need to break the bind there, and then everything is shiny...