What's new

Cannot connect to Internet or other computers when on OpenVPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marian.hlusek

New Around Here
Hello,
I've flashed Merlin 380.69_2 into Asus RT-AC66U_B1. I've set up the OpenVPN server (only one) with all certificates etc. Now I am able to connect to the server remotely - the OpenVPN log from the client shows the connection was successful, however there are 2 issues:
1. I cannot connect to the local computers nor the router. The client computer just simply doesn't 'see' them. Ping is not working either.
2. Internet connection is not working. Tried to ping google, IP is shown, however request timed out.
My local network is 192.168.2.0 and the OpenVPN is set up at 10.8.0.0, both of them on 255.255.255.0
I would need to set up all this on the server side, because I'll connect to the network windows computers as well as the Android phones.
I've tried to google this and found various advices, but not exactly solving my issue.

May I kindly ask you to help me with step by step instructions what to write where, please? I am desperate as I have no idea how to solve this. Trying for a week yet.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello,
I've flashed Merlin 380.69_2 into Asus RT-AC66U_B1. I've set up the OpenVPN server (only one) with all certificates etc. Now I am able to connect to the server remotely - the OpenVPN log from the client shows the connection was successful, however there are 2 issues:
1. I cannot connect to the local computers nor the router. The client computer just simply doesn't 'see' them. Ping is not working either.
2. Internet connection is not working. Tried to ping google, IP is shown, however request timed out.
My local network is 192.168.2.0 and the OpenVPN is set up at 10.8.0.0, both of them on 255.255.255.0
I would need to set up all this on the server side, because I'll connect to the network windows computers as well as the Android phones.
I've tried to google this and found various advices, but not exactly solving my issue.

May I kindly ask you to help me with step by step instructions what to write where, please? I am desperate as I have no idea how to solve this. Trying for a week yet.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Under VPN Server > Advanced Settings. Make sure Push LAN to clients is set to YES.

Under VPN Server > Advanced Settings. Make sure Push LAN to clients is set to YES.
Thanks, that's on yes. Please see the attached screenshot.
VPN1.JPG
VPN2.JPG

Try changing Username/Password Authentication to Yes.

Also under LAN > DHCP Server. Are you using any DNS under DNS 1 and 2?
If I change the username/pass auth., then I have to select Username/pass auth only and I guess I should have no, otherwise the only auth option would be the name and password and I want to use the certificates as well. Should I have some users with passwords created somewhere?
Yes, DNS 1 is my router's internal IP and DNS 2 is 8.8.8.8

If I change the username/pass auth., then I have to select Username/pass auth only and I guess I should have no, otherwise the only auth option would be the name and password and I want to use the certificates as well. Should I have some users with passwords created somewhere?
Yes, DNS 1 is my router's internal IP and DNS 2 is 8.8.8.8

You can create the username/password below the VPN Server tab

Capture.PNG

I have mine set to use the username and password so I want to make sure yours settings are the same as mine. I use AB-Solution to filter Ads on my network so under LAN > DHCP Server I don't have any DNS setup.

With my type of setup I can access The Router and any local computer while on VPN. Even now im currently at work and my iPhone is connected to my home network via VPN and I can hit the Router with the internal IP

You can create the username/password below the VPN Server tab

View attachment 12128

I have mine set to use the username and password so I want to make sure yours settings are the same as mine. I use AB-Solution to filter Ads on my network so under LAN > DHCP Server I don't have any DNS setup.

With my type of setup I can access The Router and any local computer while on VPN. Even now im currently at work and my iPhone is connected to my home network via VPN and I can hit the Router with the internal IP
Hello,
I've did all the changes you've suggested (removed DNS entries), add username and pass. Still I can connect to the VPN through OpenVPN, but I am unable to ping anything in the local network, including the router nor access the internet. Seems the 10.8.0.0 "doesn't see" the 192.168.2.0.
Btw. which version of the Merlin do you use, please? My options doesn't look like yours ... concretely I mean 'client will use VPN access to internet and local network'
Thank you.

Hello,
I've did all the changes you've suggested (removed DNS entries), add username and pass. Still I can connect to the VPN through OpenVPN, but I am unable to ping anything in the local network, including the router nor access the internet. Seems the 10.8.0.0 "doesn't see" the 192.168.2.0.
Btw. which version of the Merlin do you use, please? My options doesn't look like yours ... concretely I mean 'client will use VPN access to internet and local network'
Thank you.

My router is the Asus RT-AC86U and the latest firmware 384.3

... but still unable to access other machines on the local LAN.
Define "access". For example, Windows' firewall by default will block any unsolicited traffic that doesn't originate on the LAN. As your VPN client will have a 10.8.0.x address Windows will block it.

Define "access". For example, Windows' firewall by default will block any unsolicited traffic that doesn't originate on the LAN. As your VPN client will have a 10.8.0.x address Windows will block it.
good point. sorry, forgotten to mention I don't have the windows firewall enabled as I use comodo and this was definitely tested. And when I used Nethserver as my main routing software, I was able to connect home and to the devices there, so I wouldn't see any issue in my computer.