What's new

Cannot update RT-AC68U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EdZ

New Around Here
My RT-AC68U router is currently running firmware version 374_583.

I want to update it to version 378_4585.

I've tried to do so three times.

Each time, I click "Upload", the progress bar "finishes", and I receive a message that the update has completed.

However, the firmware version never changes.

I've tried doing a reboot from the browser-based UI.

I've tried recycling power on the router.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reboot message from Asus: "After firmware updated, please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router to avoid some compatibility issues."
And my advice: do not re-install settings by using back-up, but re-enter everything manually.

And why not updating to the newest firmware (378_7498) ?

There is a change to the bootloader required to increase the rootfs space. If you are using only Asus OEM code levels, you have to do an intermediate code load to 376_3626 first (or you can load the latest Merlin level which will also perform the bootloader upgrade).

Reboot message from Asus: "After firmware updated, please press the reset button more than five seconds to reset the router to avoid some compatibility issues."
And my advice: do not re-install settings by using back-up, but re-enter everything manually.

And why not updating to the newest firmware (378_7498) ?
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

As for the reset suggestion, ASUS indicated possible compatibility issues - and that the reset should be done AFTER the firmware update. However, my firmware updated didn't actually complete. I did consider doing a reset anyway (annoying - I had done one half an hour before - my router password was in storage - and I forgot that I wanted to do a firmware upgrade, or would have done the upgrade before reconfiguring the router).

As for not installing the latest version, I saw the "Japan only" comment. It wasn't clear whether any changes had been made other than to support Japan. I thought there was even a small chance that the firmware should not be used outside of Japan.

There is a change to the bootloader required to increase the rootfs space. If you are using only Asus OEM code levels, you have to do an intermediate code load to 376_3626 first (or you can load the latest Merlin level which will also perform the bootloader upgrade).

Thanks much.

I considered the possibility that I might need to do an intermediate update, but didn't want to try doing every one of them.

I'll give that a shot.

..., I saw the "Japan only" comment. It wasn't clear whether any changes had been made other than to support Japan. I thought there was even a small chance that the firmware should not be used outside of Japan.
This "Japan only version" works wondefull in The Netherlands. The update from the previous one might only be for Japan issues, but when you come from a so old version, always take the latest, even if it has also updates for the Japanese market.

I hope the intermediate version solves your problem!
Share with us when done :).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!