What's new

Can't Access Programs Using Remote Desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lydnsn

Occasional Visitor
Good morning. I am having a few problems with remote desktop. I have set up the computer to accept incoming connections. It is windows 7 Pro. I am trying to connect from a computer running windows 8. I have set up a vpn connection on the windows 8 computer that connects me to the remote network just fine. I can then access the remote computer using windows remote desktop. I use the ip address of the remote computer to access it. There is one strange thing though i gave the remote computer a static ip but the vpn assigned it a different one. If i try to connect with the static ip of the computer it refuses but it will work with the one the vpn assigned. Im not sure if that is relevant to all this or not. When i connect it is telling me that another user is logged in and if i continue they will be logged out. I click yes and it connects me to the desktop but it is very limited. The way i understand it is when i connect i should see the active desktop as i left it and i should have full control and access to everything. The desktop is very limited, i cant open any programs. When i check folders it says they are all empty. I tried to use windows media player but it was missing and it asked me if i wanted to install it. There is one program that i want to use which is the whole reason for the remote connection. It is called Pro Presenter it is a presentation program. It's for a Church so it needs to be updated during the week so it is ready for Sunday. I can open the program but everything is missing and it is asking me for a key to unlock the program. I know for certain all of this stuff works when i am setting in front of the computer so if i am connected remotely shouldn't it work also or am i missing something ???.Is there a better way to do this than using Windows Remote Desktop ? Any advice would be helpful