What's new

Can't Access Router via PC but can via Phone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkmanXP

New Around Here
So last week I purchased the RT-AC88u router. I hooked it up to my PC via the network cable and then configured wireless and off we went. Everything is working great on the PC and all the devices connecting to the wireless network I had defined. Yesterday I noticed when I tried to navigate to the router (192.168.1.1) via from my wired PC, my browser it returns an error "
This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.1 took too long to respond."

With my previous router (asus rt-n66u) I had used the asus router app on my iphone. I now have it setup to access my new router. It works great and I can access the router using the app like before. I also can use safari and browse to the router via 192.168.1.1. It's just the wired PC that won't allow me to connect. So I'm not locked out of it by any means but would be nice to access from my primary pc.

So I checked and recheck all my pertinent settings and tried every troubleshooting step I could on my PC. Finally when nothing else seemed to be the cause on the PC side I moved to recheck all my router settings. While going through the router gui (from my phone) I disabled the firewall. Boom! Instant access from my PC.

I'm far from an expert on understanding routers and firewalls but it seems like I don't want to be running this router with this off. I know I could always toggle it off from the phone when I wanted to use the PC to access it but that seems a pain in the behind.

So now I'm not locked out and no it really isn't a show stopper but is there anything I can do so I can keep the firewall on and use the PC to connect to it? I know with my previous ASUS router the firewall was always enabled and never had this issue.

Thanks kindly for any suggestions.

So last week I purchased the RT-AC88u router. I hooked it up to my PC via the network cable and then configured wireless and off we went. Everything is working great on the PC and all the devices connecting to the wireless network I had defined. Yesterday I noticed when I tried to navigate to the router (192.168.1.1) via from my wired PC, my browser it returns an error "
This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.1 took too long to respond."

With my previous router (asus rt-n66u) I had used the asus router app on my iphone. I now have it setup to access my new router. It works great and I can access the router using the app like before. I also can use safari and browse to the router via 192.168.1.1. It's just the wired PC that won't allow me to connect. So I'm not locked out of it by any means but would be nice to access from my primary pc.

So I checked and recheck all my pertinent settings and tried every troubleshooting step I could on my PC. Finally when nothing else seemed to be the cause on the PC side I moved to recheck all my router settings. While going through the router gui (from my phone) I disabled the firewall. Boom! Instant access from my PC.

I'm far from an expert on understanding routers and firewalls but it seems like I don't want to be running this router with this off. I know I could always toggle it off from the phone when I wanted to use the PC to access it but that seems a pain in the behind.

So now I'm not locked out and no it really isn't a show stopper but is there anything I can do so I can keep the firewall on and use the PC to connect to it? I know with my previous ASUS router the firewall was always enabled and never had this issue.

Thanks kindly for any suggestions.

What happens if you ping the router(192.168.1.1)?

You didn't go into the system settings under admin and list only certain IPs that could administer the router using the Web UI did you? If yes be sure you give your Ethernet adapter on your PC a static IP and include it in the list of up to four IPs.

You didn't go into the system settings under admin and list only certain IPs that could administer the router using the Web UI did you? If yes be sure you give your Ethernet adapter on your PC a static IP and include it in the list of up to four IPs.

I don't recall ever doing that but yes we have a winner! I had it set up only to give access from 1 IP which was no longer assigned to my PC. Thank you!

I don't recall ever doing that but yes we have a winner! I had it set up only to give access from 1 IP which was no longer assigned to my PC. Thank you!
You are welcome.

It is a nice security feature. If you are really paranoid and think someone is going to mount a brute force attack against your router, list an IP to administer the router outside of your DHCP pool and also do not use a reserved/static IP used by any device on your network.

The downside of course is your convenience as now before you can administer your router you have to manually assign your PC the "magic" IP.

The same exact thing happened to me on my 86u. Using the phone app I rebooted the router and I was able to get back in from the pc. Was running 384 beta 3 at the time. Have since upgraded to 384 release. Am going to keep an eye on it.

Ok I have screwed up here - I think I have this security setting enabled but I dont know what IP or Device I granted. Any way to get around this without resetting my router to default settings?

I can access the router via SSH.

Use a computer and set the IP manually (making sure it isn't used by another device on the network already) until you can connect. :)

did you change your Authentication Method to https only? if you did then that's your problem. use the app to change it back to both and try accessing your router from your PC.