What's new

Can't Connect Bluetooth Keyboard in NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveLessnau

Occasional Visitor
This problem is specific to my Asustor AS5002T NAS. But, since the Asustor forums are practically a ghost town, I thought I'd try posting here in case it's a common problem with other NASes.

I just got a "GHS2® Bluetooth 4.0 USB Network Adapter Dongle for Windows / Linux / Mac - Plug and Play Dongle Class 2 Transmitter - 32/64 Bit:"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GIX8CUS/?tag=snbforums-20

and a "Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard for iPad, iPhone, Android devices, and Windows tablets:"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWGLUZ0/?tag=snbforums-20

I want to connect this to my Asustor AS5002T NAS. I can find and connect with this Bluetooth dongle to that Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard on a Nexus 5 Android phone and a Windows 8.1 desktop computer without any problem.

But, When I try to connect on my NAS, all I get is the following warning:

"Connection failed. Make sure your devices are discoverable and within 10 meters of the Asustor NAS. (Ref. 6309)"

This is from within ADM | External Devices | Bluetooth. Once I plug the Bluetooth dongle into a USB 2.0 port on the NAS, it appears in the left-hand column there. It's described as a "Cambridge Silicon Radio" and it gives its MAC address. When I search from there, it finds the keyboard and adds it to the right-hand panel. It's described there as a "Universal Mobile Keyboard" of type "input-Keyboard" with a status of "New device." Hitting the Information button for it adds the keyboard's MAC address.

So, the NAS finds the bluetooth dongle and finds the keyboard, but for some reason doesn't want to connect (even with the keyboard sitting within inches of the dongle). Anyone have any solutions or reasons?

That's odd - double check and verify that the keyboard isn't paired with anything else - a BT client can only be peered up with a single host at any given time..

Just a note however - having a Bluetooth Dongle sitting on a NAS box is a security concern probably not worth taking...

That's odd - double check and verify that the keyboard isn't paired with anything else - a BT client can only be peered up with a single host at any given time..

Just a note however - having a Bluetooth Dongle sitting on a NAS box is a security concern probably not worth taking...
Right, sounds like pairing is not occuring. KB is identified but not paired. Peculiar driver problem?

Thanks. The double-pairing is a possibility I'll check into. I also didn't think about illicit remote access to that Bluetooth dongle (though I'm not exactly a big target). But, I was only planning on inserting it when I needed it.

But why does a NAS need a keyboard?

Well, basically, because I'm brand new to NASes and I was messing around with it. This thing has an app called ASUSTOR Portal on it that throws an interface up on a television monitor via an HDMI cable. I was messing with that (specifically, trying to configure Kodi (which I ended up deleting)) and needed some way to navigate the screen and enter data. At this point, I don't see any purpose to it and am going to delete that app, too. So, the keyboard connecting issue is now pretty much moot.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!