What's new

can't disable WMM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thobux

Occasional Visitor
in the professional settings I don't get a 'Disable' function, only 'Enable'. LIFX says I need to dsiable it otherwise the connection to the lights are unstable.
Any idea, how to disable it? Thanks

WMM can only be disabled if Wifi is set to Legacy mode.

in the professional settings I don't get a 'Disable' function, only 'Enable'. LIFX says I need to dsiable it otherwise the connection to the lights are unstable.
Any idea, how to disable it? Thanks
I have about 40 LIFX bulbs and AiMesh (and HomeKit). @thobux would be interested to hear how you get on... (I used the suggested LIFX settings on 2.4Ghz only - and yeah WMM is Enabled)

I have about 40 LIFX bulbs and AiMesh (and HomeKit). @thobux would be interested to hear how you get on... (I used the suggested LIFX settings on 2.4Ghz only - and yeah WMM is Enabled)
I'm a bit annoyed how LIFX is handling this, I have no issues w/ TP-Link bulbs and switches. They explicitly told me to disable WMM. I'll report back here.

I don't run the same firmware as you guys so I can't check what options you're seeing, but are you confusing "WMM" with "WMM APSD". I can see how the later option would be relevant to IoT devices.

EDIT: OK I found the various discussions about LIFX and WMM.

Last edited:
WMM is pretty much as requirement for 802.11n and above (as it allows for frame aggregation)...

Airtime Fairness is really the setting that should be looked at - if enabled, try disabling it - it's been problematic with many embedded devices like printers, etc..

WMM can only be disabled if Wifi is set to Legacy mode.
Legacy, /out WMM cured my issues (w/ LIFX), and yes A…Fairness has been disabled (for the record - TP-Link bulbs work fine with a more modern setup though)

Legacy, /out WMM cured my issues (w/ LIFX), and yes A…Fairness has been disabled (for the record - TP-Link bulbs work fine with a more modern setup though)

Then the manufacturer needs to fix that. They are basically forcing you to run a router in 802.11g mode to accommodate their lights.

Then the manufacturer needs to fix that. They are basically forcing you to run a router in 802.11g mode to accommodate their lights.

I suspect the LIFX bulbs are running the Espressif ESP8266 microcontroller - there's versions of the libs that have connectivity issues like what's reported by OP... As luck would have it, there are fixes available, and depending on the firmware that LIFX is using, it might be something OTA updatable...

I suspect the LIFX bulbs are running the Espressif ESP8266 microcontroller - there's versions of the libs that have connectivity issues like what's reported by OP... As luck would have it, there are fixes available, and depending on the firmware that LIFX is using, it might be something OTA updatable...

I am running a ton of LIFX bulbs (newer as they are RGB) without WMM disabled.

@thobux did LIFX support specifically tell you to turn it off or were you going by the instructions? :)
Also what type of LIFX bulbs are you using, and what specific problems are you seeing... if they remain visible to the LIFX app (as mine do) then that's good as far as WiFi/LIFX is concerned. I do have some AiMesh & HomeKit issues but those I believe are separate routing issues.

I am running a ton of LIFX bulbs (newer as they are RGB) without WMM disabled.

@thobux did LIFX support specifically tell you to turn it off or were you going by the instructions? :)
yes. that's what they said.
@thobuxAlso what type of LIFX bulbs are you using, and what specific problems are you seeing... if they remain visible to the LIFX app (as mine do) then that's good as far as WiFi/LIFX is concerned. I do have some AiMesh & HomeKit issues but those I believe are separate routing issues.
I'm using bulbs and a beam. Recently I'm having troubles with the beam. I need to un/plug it from mains every now and then to connect it to the wifi and make it visible again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!