What's new

Can't do firmware update to Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boo

Occasional Visitor
I'm still currently on AsusWRT Merlin 384.13 and trying to do a firmware upgrade to 384.19. I've downloaded the .trx file and tried updating the firmware through the settings and after 100%, its still on the same firmware I was on before. I also done a factory reset as well to see if it would help but nothing is working. What to do?

Model? If it's a TM-AC1900, sorry :(

Otherwise, make sure you've got the correct firmware for your model. Example: 86U vs 68U.

I'm still currently on AsusWRT Merlin 384.13 and trying to do a firmware upgrade to 384.19. I've downloaded the .trx file and tried updating the firmware through the settings and after 100%, its still on the same firmware I was on before. I also done a factory reset as well to see if it would help but nothing is working. What to do?
Are you sure you have downloaded right firmware? RT-AC68U is very similar to RT-AC86U........!?

If you are certain that you have downloaded the correct firmware, you might also try flashing again shortly after a reboot, as it sometimes helps. Also, you might try dismounting any attached USB storage (either through the web interface, or physically, not necessary to do both). Generally this is all that is needed, although you could also manually (temporarily) disable add-on scripts if you are using any.

How was the factory reset done (what specific steps)? Did you try both the 'reset button' and 'WPS button' reset methods?

@Boo I'm not sure why you're being so cryptic? What specific steps did you do to reset the router and then set it back up?

Btw, I don't know a 'settings' Tab.

@Boo I'm not sure why you're being so cryptic? What specific steps did you do to reset the router and then set it back up?

Btw, I don't know a 'settings' Tab.
CqhdLkE.png

Settings > admin > restore/upload/save tab > factory reset

I didn't check box the "Initialize all the settings, and.... bla bla bla".

So I cannot downgrade or upgrade the FW. I've tried older versions and the newest version and nothing works! :l

Why didn't you try 'Initialize all settings...' too? You have nothing to lose at this point.

Here's what I'd try.
You can manually install firmware via ssh. But you need the f/w file on the router. Easiest is to put it on a USB.
1. Download the desired firmware to a PC (unzipping). Example: RT-AC68U_384.19_0.trx
2. Copy it to a USB stick and eject after complete. Make note of the USB volume label. Example: MyUSB
3. Mount the USB on the 68U.
4. Log-in to the router via putty.
5. Enter cd /tmp/mnt and ls to see the mount points. You should see "MyUSB". Enter cd MyUSB
6. Now run ls and you should see the file containing the new firmware RT-AC68U_384.19_0.trx
7. Run this command (adjusting if you use a different f/w file) mtd-write2 RT-AC68U_384.19_0.trx linux
8. Reboot and wait 5 minutes, then erase NVRAM (or factory reset) and log-in thru gui to verify all is good.

Oh, other things to verify (while in ssh):
1. Run strings /dev/mtd0 | grep bl_version
2. Then strings /dev/mtd0 | grep odmpid
What is the output?

I suspect this is the issue as well.....Will add that Newegg has turned into Amazon in that they allow outside retailers to sell on their site.

They have for a while (few years). Its why I always set the filter to shipped and sold by Newegg when searching.