What's new

Can't get Dual Wan to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

transmuting

New Around Here
I know Merlin doesn't touch the Dual Wan Code, but I still want to ask if someone could help me here. I simply can't get Dual Wan to work. The Secondary Wan Connection stays Disconnected.

I have tried to switch the Primary Wan, both ISP-connections work fine as Primary Wan. So all is good ISP wise. They are completely different ISPs, one with fiber and one cabel with a modem.

Anyone here who has tried out the Dual Wan feature on an Ethernet Lan Port?

I'm using 380.58

On the WAN page, Internet Connection tab under WAN Index, did you also setup the WAN type for Ethernet LAN?

My dual WAN works flawlessly. My primary is cable and standby in DSL (PPPoE), with my DSL modem in bridge mode.

upload_2016-5-3_18-5-39.png

@transmuting:

Try the following
  1. On the "Internet Connection" tab shown above - make sure first that under "WAN Index - WAN Type" that the secondary WAN is selected (i.e. such as Ethernet LAN).
  2. Then under "Basic Config - Enable WAN" select "No" then "Apply" at the bottom and wait for it to finish.
  3. Then again under "Basic Config - Enable WAN" select "Yes" then "Apply" at the bottom and wait for it to finish.
This got my secondary to connect and after that the Failover with the ping watchdog (to 8.8.8.8) did work. [I have an RT-AC88U]

Let me know if this works.

P.S. I still have not gotten "Failback" to work right.

Fizix

Last edited:
@transmuting:

Try the following
  1. On the "Internet Connection" tab shown above - make sure first that under "WAN Index - WAN Type" that the secondary WAN is selected (i.e. such as Ethernet LAN).
  2. Then under "Basic Config - Enable WAN" select "No" then "Apply" at the bottom and wait for it to finish.
  3. Then again under "Basic Config - Enable WAN" select "Yes" then "Apply" at the bottom and wait for it to finish.
This got my secondary to connect and after that the Failover with the ping watchdog (to 8.8.8.8) did work. [I have an RT-AC88U]

Let me know if this works.

P_.S. I still have not gotten "Failback" to work right.

Fizix
I tried that, unfortunately it didn't work.

transmuting,

Too bad that did not work. On my RT-AC88U when I added the ping watchdog, the router would no longer get an IP from the cable modem, so of course there was nothing to Failover to. After doing the above, the secondary WAN (Ethernet port 1) then had an IP lease and showed as "Standby". On the next Primary failure it did flip over to the secondary.

Which router are you using?

Fizix

I have RT-AC87U.

I have tried all ports. I can't select port 1 though, only 2, 3 or 4.

Really strange!

transmuting, did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue on 380.62.

Using Ethernet LAN 2 has Dual WAN. If I swap them around, both get DHCP fine. But can't get the 2nd WAN to ever come online. Always says Disconnected. If I remove the Ethernet cable, it quickly changes to 'cable unplugged'. Seems like the DHCP REQUEST never kicks in for WAN2.