What's new

Can't get LAN Power Management settings to stick on Realtek PCIe GBE for WOL.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yazyazoo

Occasional Visitor
I have a system that I just built with Win 7 64bit Ultimate. A Biostar A85w with Realtek PCIe GBe family network card. I am trying to get WOL to work and can get it to work if the settings in Power Management is all checked on.

Allow the Computer to turn of the device to save power
Allow this device to wake the computer
Only allow the magic packet to wake the computer

If I just sleep the computer the settings are remembered. If I restart the computer all of those settings become unchecked and I am unable to WOL.

I have updated Realtek 8111 drivers and nothing helps.

I have tried to change advanced settings such as enabling and disabling SHUT DOWN WOL but it never remembers the setting after a reboot.

How can I get these settings to stick after a power off or restart?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't mean to offend, but could you exchange the Realtek-based card for an Intel one?

I've read a lot of horror stories about Realtek networking chipsets. This sounds like a driver issue.

Intel's cards are probably about the best you can get and the PRO/1000 CT PCIe card only costs about $30 or so.

I guess I could but this is built onto motherboard and free!;) I will research into that if I can't get an solution. It's just weird. I may just try some old drivers.

If I get another card will it be able to do WOL?

I guess I could but this is built onto motherboard and free!;)

Ah yes, I have a Realtek 8111 in my motherboard too.:) (RTL 8111DL) It's not that my built-in Realtek NIC wasn't working, I ended up getting a similar Intel PRO/1000 GT (PCI version, I don't have PCIe slots except for graphics) because:

- it offloads networking from the CPU entirely. OK, it's not much, but every little bit helps.
- it has such a good reputation
- it can handle PXE boot (which I was experimenting with) and WOL

If I get another card will it be able to do WOL?

It can certainly do WOL. I got it configured to do so under Linux.

It has its own BIOS actually, which appears on start-up (you can disable it if you like). It can perform some functions even before the computer has booted up.