What's new

can't get master browser to work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chuga

New Around Here
Hi,

I just upgraded to 380.59 from standard asus firmware. I wanted to try out the 'force as master browser' option.

However I can't seem to make it work.

I have turned off all of the other computers/servers on the network except the windows 10 PC I am on, and the router. I am using the 'lanscanner' utility from scottiestech to view the master.

actually the router does not show up at all in this utility as it scans the lan. How can I tell if it is master from a cmd prompt?

A few other questions.

I do not have a usb drive connected. Do I need to "enable share" to have the master browser forced? both settings are in the same table to it almost appears you need to 'enable share' to use any of the settings below it.

Do I need to enable upnp media server to enable master browser?

any other suggestions or things I can do to get this working ?

thanks,

Hi,

I just upgraded to 380.59 from standard asus firmware. I wanted to try out the 'force as master browser' option.

However I can't seem to make it work.

I have turned off all of the other computers/servers on the network except the windows 10 PC I am on, and the router. I am using the 'lanscanner' utility from scottiestech to view the master.

actually the router does not show up at all in this utility as it scans the lan. How can I tell if it is master from a cmd prompt?

A few other questions.

I do not have a usb drive connected. Do I need to "enable share" to have the master browser forced? both settings are in the same table to it almost appears you need to 'enable share' to use any of the settings below it.

Do I need to enable upnp media server to enable master browser?

any other suggestions or things I can do to get this working ?

thanks,
The samba master browser in .59 firmware is broken, Merlin fixed it in .60 Beta2 if I'm not mistaken and works in his .61 Alpha1 also.

thanks - upgraded to the beta and it seems to be working.

in regards to the other questions - is it OK to disable the other stuff ? (media server, enable share, etc)

Unless you need a media server, want to share files via a USB HDD connected to the router, etc, etc, yes, disable those things.

If you're WinXP or later on all the Windows machines, you do not need this option... in many ways, this is old legacy cruft and a hack at best... and with Win10, it can lead to problems, as it runs into conflicts with network discovery and multicast DNS...

Just ensure that all Windows clients are on the same workgroup setting, and they'll sort themselves much more efficiently than Samba can.

Forcing Master Browser was useful in the Win95/98/2K/Vista days maybe, but even then the NT based OS's (NT 3.5.1, NT4, Win2K, Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10) do a very good job here compared to Samba...

Forcing Master Browser was useful in the Win95/98/2K/Vista days maybe, but even then the NT based OS's (NT 3.5.1, NT4, Win2K, Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10) do a very good job here compared to Samba...

Forcing browser master is useful in an environment where your workstations might have a restrictive firewall configuration, or causing your browser list to randomly become unreliable as the former browser master is turned off, and you have to wait for a new election to happen, and for the list to be re-populated. I see plenty of browser master-related issue in workgroups where there isn't a server to win the election.

This is the reason for this setting: if you have a workgroup without any server (either NAS or real server), having your always-on router always win the election will improve your LAN stability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!