What's new

Can't get port forwarding to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doncaruana

New Around Here
Just replaced an e3000 with dd-wrt with an rt-ac68p which I flashed with merlin 378.50.

I've had port forwarding configured with the e3000 and working for a long time, so I know everything is working up to that point.

But, with the merlin firmware, none of the port forwards I have setup are working.

I only have 7 forwards set up, each with a single port and I've enabled port forwarding.

I've tried applying it a couple of times and rebooted the router, but it's still not working.

The port forwards I setup show in the port forwarding system log as well, but I don't see anything related to my connection attempts from "outside".

Can someone help me out? What am I doing wrong?

Check that your modem is bridged. If it was set with the router's IP as DMZ then make sure your new router still has the same IP as the old one.

How are you testing the port forward?

I'm testing it by using my phone (over 4g so I'm off the local lan) to access things inside my network I could previously access. I don't recall setting anything in particular on the modem, but I'll try that route (because I am using a different IP on the router).

Well...this is interesting...looks like swapping out the router triggered a new external IP for me. Comcast hasn't changed my IP in years. After smacking my forehead (hard!) in realization, forwarding is working fine. Thanks!

Well...this is interesting...looks like swapping out the router triggered a new external IP for me. Comcast hasn't changed my IP in years. After smacking my forehead (hard!) in realization, forwarding is working fine. Thanks!

IPs tend to be associated to a MAC. So by changing router, you are using a different MAC to obtain your DHCP lease. If you were to plug back the old router, chances are it would obtain the old IP instead.

IPs tend to be associated to a MAC. So by changing router, you are using a different MAC to obtain your DHCP lease. If you were to plug back the old router, chances are it would obtain the old IP instead.

You know...I've been doing this long enough to know that. Duh! Total bonehead move by me. Thanks again for the quick response. Popped it in seamlessly. Only thing I miss so far is the granularity on the time scheduling vs the full hour blocks (at least half hour would be better). Otherwise, seems to be working great! Thanks for all your hard work!