What's new

Can't get to 192.168.1.1 on my new Orbi, and another issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AzJazz

Occasional Visitor
Hi - I am experiencing a couple of problems with my new Orbi / PC. I am running Win7x64 SP1.

The two problems may be related in some way - not sure.

Here's the first problem:

For some reason, I can't get to the Orbi configuration page (at 192.168.1.1) on my main PC. I tried Chrome and Internet Explorer. Neither one connects.

My main PC is directly connected to one of the Ethernet ports in the back of the Orbi router. I don't have any satellites set up yet.

In Chrome, I see a "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset." error message.

Here's the oddball thing: If I use one of my other computers on the same network (another PC wired through a switch to the router), I can get to 192.168.1.1 and can configure the Orbi just fine. I can also get to it through a wireless connection on my Android tablet.

So, the problem isn't likely to be the Orbi, and more likely to be my PC. However, I was able to connect to my previous Netgear R6300v2 @ 192.168.1.1 without any problems.

I've reset the PC a few times now, factory reset the Orbi, and power reset the Orbi and my other switches on the network. No effect.​

And ... Here's the second problem:

I have the Orbi router set up to be my DHCP server. My LAN setup has a lot of static IP addresses. My main PC is set for 192.168.1.100.

The IP address appears to be getting set properly by the Orbi (my main PC is set to 192.168.1.100), but I hear the Win7 short audio "pops" play very frequently and randomly (the default Win7 audio for network connection changes). If I set the PC to a fixed IPv4 address of 192.168.1.100, the audio "pops" stop.

Again, I didn't have this issue with my Netgear R6300v2.​

Any help?

Thanks,

AzJazz

So, the problem isn't likely to be the Orbi, and more likely to be my PC. However, I was able to connect to my previous Netgear R6300v2 @ 192.168.1.1 without any problems.

Try clearing the cache, and it might be an old cookie from the other netgear device...

Try clearing the cache, and it might be an old cookie from the other netgear device...
Hi, sfx2000 - I tried clearing the cache and cookies, and it didn't have any effect.

It has to be something similar, though - When I changed the Orbi router's IP address to 192.168.1.3, I was able to get to that page when I enabled Javascript.

Last edited:
Regarding my second issue ...

I discovered where the audio "pops" are coming from. I have a very handy tool installed that lets me quickly switch a real or virtual network device to another IPv4 address instantly. One of the options in the tool is to play the "pop" sound whenever it detects that a network interface is being requested to change. It seems like the Orbi is randomly and frequently sending commands to my network card to configure the IPv4 settings - a lot more frequently than any other router I have owned. It may be a bug in the Orbi firmware.

Does anybody know how to read Wireshark logs? I have collected some logs when the "pops" are occurring, but I'm not sure how to interpret them. I can attach the logs if someone would be interested in helping ...

It seems like the Orbi is randomly and frequently sending commands to my network card to configure the IPv4 settings - a lot more frequently than any other router I have owned. It may be a bug in the Orbi firmware.

Mutliple (and conflicting) DHCP servers on a LAN segment can cause behavior like this...

Yes, I can review wireshark logs, but you'll have to find a place to stash them (dropbox, skydrive, or something similar)

Thanks, @sfx2000 - I uploaded a Wireshark log with an example up here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12688440/Orbi_Network_Issue.pcapng

The issue seemed to occur sometime around or after record #121. I listened for the "pops", and watched where the Wireshark log churned up.

In the Wireshark logs, the Orbi Router is at 192.168.1.10 and my main PC is at 192.168.1.100.

I double-checked my network, and the only DHCP server is the Orbi.

I'm still trying to figure out why I can't get to the http://192.168.1.1 configuration page.

Cheers,

AzJazz

Last edited:
What is the Asus device on the network?

(I'm not assuming this is a router, but, helps to ask)

Also, a lot of the devices are a bit, for lack of a better word, lost, looking for 192.168.1.1, which is not the Orbi... is the Orbi sitting behind another router or gateway?

The Ooma esp, and there's another device that keeps asking where 192.168.1.1 is - looks likw 192.168.1.200 is also looking for the 192.168.1.1 gateway..

interesting...

The Asus RT-AC68U device is a second router that I had configured for WiFi-only operation as an extender on the network. It was wired to the Orbi Ethernet ports (through a switch). It wasn't actually being used as a router in my configuration.

I actually had the Asus pretty much disabled during this setup (without powering it off due to the inaccessible location). The DHCP server was always turned off on the Asus, of course. I also turned off the 2.4 / 5 GHz radios while testing the Orbi, so it really was just hanging on a port to the Orbi doing nothing.

The Ooma is a VoIP phone.

The device located at 192.168.1.200 is my QNAP NAS array.

I did see all the device requests asking where 192.168.1.1 gateway is - but I didn't have a reference point to determine if the amount of requests were unusual.

I now have the Asus removed, and my Orbi satellite installed. I am still hearing the "pops" from my network monitor telling me that the Orbi is still trying to do something with my network interface, so the Asus router wasn't a cause.

Set the Orbi to 192.168.1.1 and see what happens...

Then the browser on the PC can be sorted later...

Double check and ensure that the Asus is set correctly as it's just providing wireless (AP mode?)

Set the Orbi to 192.168.1.1 and see what happens...

Then the browser on the PC can be sorted later...

Double check and ensure that the Asus is set correctly as it's just providing wireless (AP mode?)

The Orbi is back to 192.168.1.1 again - I just had it at 192.168.1.10 for the Wirshark testing. The Asus has been removed, now that I have the Orbi satellite installed. I'm "all Orbi" now. :)

Do you want me to capture new Wireshark logs? Not sure how things would be affected with my main PC not being able to connect to 192.168.1.1.

Sure - pull down the old pcap - and you might just start a private conversation (see the menubar, inbox, 'start a new conversation') to protect your privacy - we can summarize finding after the fact, ok?

I found the solution regarding why I can't connect to 192.168.1.1: I have Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2017 installed. This was the root of the problem.

I had previously tried disabling KAV2017 and exiting KAV2017 as part of my debugging effort. However, access to 192.168.1.1 was still blocked even when I had terminated KAV2017. So for a while, I thought KAV wasn't the problem. The clue I found just a few minutes ago was that I noticed that the "Can't access this page" browser error message changed slightly depending on whether KAV2017 was disabled (paused) or whether it was terminated. When KAV2017 was terminated, there was additional information available in the browser error message that pointed to KAV as the culprit.

When I temporarily uninstalled KAV2017, I was able to get to 192.168.1.1 again. Whew!

192.168.1.1 was also inaccessible inside a Linux Virtual Machine that I had installed on the PC. I find it interesting that KAV2017's "protection" (if you want to call it that) was so thorough and at such a low level, that it prevented access to 192.168.1.1 even inside Virtual Machines that didn't have any Anti-Virus software installed at all. It's actually pretty impressive how comprehensive Kaspersky's protection is, except that it was undesired operation for me (and probably a lot of other folks).

When I added http://192.168.1.1 and https://192.168.1.1 to the KAV2017 Web Anti-Virus URL Advisor Exclusion List, I can get to 192.168.1.1 fine now on my main PC.

AzJazz

Check the DHCP server, and ensure the netmask is appropriate - with the 192.168.1.0/24 netblock, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0...

Option: (53) DHCP Message Type (ACK)
Length: 1
DHCP: ACK (5)
Option: (54) DHCP Server Identifier
Length: 4
DHCP Server Identifier: 192.168.1.1
Option: (1) Subnet Mask
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Option: (3) Router
Router: 192.168.1.1
Option: (6) Domain Name Server
Domain Name Server: 192.168.1.1

For some reason, I can't get to the Orbi configuration page (at 192.168.1.1) on my main PC. I tried Chrome and Internet Explorer. Neither one connects.

My main PC is directly connected to one of the Ethernet ports in the back of the Orbi router. I don't have any satellites set up yet.

In Chrome, I see a "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset." error message.

Here's the oddball thing: If I use one of my other computers on the same network (another PC wired through a switch to the router), I can get to 192.168.1.1 and can configure the Orbi just fine. I can also get to it through a wireless connection on my Android tablet.

I've reset the PC a few times now, factory reset the Orbi, and power reset the Orbi and my other switches on the network. No effect.​

I am seeing the same issue. My main PC can't log in to the Orbi on either 192.168.1.1 or http://orbilogin.com (tried Chrome and whatever IE calls itself these days

This PC is running Windows 10 has an Asus PCE-AC68 Wireless card and is getting strong signal from the Orbi - previously had no problems logging into an Asus router.

Had to dig out my work laptop to get to Orbi log in

Ah - I should have read your reply from earlier today. Yes I have KIS2016 running - adding those 2 locations as exclusions fixed the issue. Wonder why Kaspersky is blocking the Orbi but not Asus RT-AC68 at same address.

Last edited:
Check the DHCP server, and ensure the netmask is appropriate - with the 192.168.1.0/24 netblock, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0...

@sfx2000 - Was this suggestion to address the network configuration "pops" I keep getting? I tried the more restrictive 255.255.255.0 netmask, and it didn't seem to affect the network configuration frequency.

Ah - I should have read your reply from earlier today. Yes I have KIS2016 running - adding those 2 locations as exclusions fixed the issue. Wonder why Kaspersky is blocking the Orbi but not Asus RT-AC68 at same address.

@Vandergraff - I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that it may depend on the functionality within the configuration page, like whether it uses Flash or Javascript to run. Just a guess, though. I'm just glad I finally found the solution for that ... it was driving me crazy. :confused:

AJ

Try to set a static IP on your laptop/PC like 192.168.1.63 se wath happends
Some times a Linux LIVE CD/USB helps

Try to set a static IP on your laptop/PC like 192.168.1.63 se wath happends
Some times a Linux LIVE CD/USB helps

Hi, @pege63 - Thanks for the suggestions, but I isolated my 192.168.1.1 access problem to Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2017 (see above). FYI ... I did try a Knoppix Linux LiveCD a few days ago, and it did allow access to 192.168.1.1 (which I expected, since I could get to the Orbi on other PCs).

Yes i did have that same problem with Kaspersky and then i tried LIVE CD and that worked.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!