What's new

Can't login to router, still routing.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dragon

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC3200

This seems to be a pattern, wondering if anyone got any ideas to troubleshoot? Don't think got anything too esoteric running, outside of SMB sharing/Time machine. Which seem to stop working properly when this happens too.

Router is still routing traffic fine, but after around 7-8 days uptime, it will no longer fully login, and network drive sharing also stops working.

When logging into web admin, the login page appears, but once put in name/password, the next screen never finishes loading.

And via SSH the login prompt again comes up, and gets accepted, but shell prompt never appears.

Works fine again for X amount of time after a hard reboot.

edit:, currently on Merlin .61 alpha or beta, but it's done this before on earlier versions too, so it doesn't seem specific to a particular build.

I'm guessing it could be running out of memory, perhaps, but not sure how to verify this?

Last edited:
Check your memory usage on a daily basis, on Tools -> Sysinfo. You'll see if it keeps going down day after day.

Also test without the USB disk plugged in for a couple of days.

Decided on a slightly different tack, set up a swap file on the USB hdd, and been monitoring that. Swap usage is very slowly increasing ( upto 2.4MB now ), and thus far I'm upto 8 days without any issue.

This is now definitely longest router has stayed up, and memory usage whilst not in middle of time machine backup sits at around 175MB free, and swap file still slowly increasing in usage does indeed seem to at least suggest there's a slight memory leak somewhere. Potentially in the AFP sharing code.

Further, just did it again the other day, this time with swap file enabled.

login to either web UI or ssh fail after login screen, failing to load command prompt or any UI after login screen, and time machine failing to backup again till power cycle.

Using snmp verified that router thought it had plenty of ram free, so not running out of memory.

And two days later, fallen over again.

No settings been changed that I know of between period of seeming stability and suddenly going unstable again.

Only difference is that time machine corrupted itself at some point and recently did a new backup, so I once again suspect it's the time machine backend.

I hope asus get SMB time machine support in soon so I can dump AFP.

RT-AC3200

This seems to be a pattern, wondering if anyone got any ideas to troubleshoot? Don't think got anything too esoteric running, outside of SMB sharing/Time machine. Which seem to stop working properly when this happens too.

Router is still routing traffic fine, but after around 7-8 days uptime, it will no longer fully login, and network drive sharing also stops working.

When logging into web admin, the login page appears, but once put in name/password, the next screen never finishes loading.

And via SSH the login prompt again comes up, and gets accepted, but shell prompt never appears.

Works fine again for X amount of time after a hard reboot.

edit:, currently on Merlin .61 alpha or beta, but it's done this before on earlier versions too, so it doesn't seem specific to a particular build.

I'm guessing it could be running out of memory, perhaps, but not sure how to verify this?

I'm seeing a very similar issue with an AC5300 where ssh login doesn't complete. Did you get anywhere with this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!