What's new

Can't ping from LAN to Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeff

New Around Here
I have a small network setup with 2 VLANs. I have a pfsense box sitting in line between my modem and switch. The pfsense boxes nics are bridged and all traffic is allowed through. modem is my dhcp server for default VLAN1. On the pfsense box I created VLAN2 tagged and it runs on the LAN side nic of the pfsense box. Pfsense runs DHCP, captive portal, and firewall for VLAN2. The switch port that pfsense LAN side connects to is set to be in default VLAN1 and VLAN2. I have a wireless AP with 2 SSIDs. SSID1 tagged VLAN1 and SSID2 tagged VLAN2. The port in which the AP connects to on the switch is configured is set to be in VLAN1 and VLAN2. All other ports are just in VLAN1. This works. So anyone who connects to SSID1 gets DHCP from modem anyone who connects to SSID2 gets DHCP from pfsense all can get to the internet.

The problem I'm having is that when I ping from a PC on the LAN who has a dynamic IP from cable modem to a laptop on SSID1 who has a dynamic IP on cable modem it works. If I set the IP on the PC on the LAN to static same network though as modem I cannot ping the laptop on SSID1 which is on the same network, same VLAN. That is all done with Win7 PC's. Also if I try to ping using a WinXP machine from LAN to laptop on SSID1 on same VLAN it doesn't work whether my IP is static or dynamic.

I attached an image of my network layout.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• network.JPG
    network.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 566
Just a guess, but sounds like pfsense is firewalling based on it's DHCP table. Sounds like a pfsense issue.
Theoretically if you are in the same LAN you should be able to ping but if you are passing through pfsense to the other side of the same LAN pfsense may be controlling access.

Last edited:
Just a guess, but sounds like pfsense is firewalling based on it's DHCP table. Sounds like a pfsense issue.
Theoretically if you are in the same LAN you should be able to ping but if you are passing through pfsense to the other side of the same LAN pfsense may be controlling access.
I have this exact same setup on another network and it works fine I can ping anyone from wireless to wired on the same lan with no problems. I actually copied the config from this working network and adjust a little. The only difference is the brand of AP I'm using. It is very strange. Why does it work if its a Win7 PC and set to dynamic but no if I set a static IP and not if its an XP PC? And I can ping from wired to wireless no problems, just the opposite way a problem. Very strange!