What's new

Can't see NAS in File Explorer - Windows 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChuckS

Occasional Visitor
I have a WDMyCloud, plugged into the router. In my Network View I see it under "Storage" and under "Media devices" but cannot see it as a folder under "Network" - nor can any of my applications see it. Also, I can access its page via a browser and get to settings, see users, content, etc. I have a new laptop and have been unable to get it to work - it was fine on the old laptop.

(About a year ago I had a similar problem and found some command line things to executive, Config something or nuther - that seemed to remove the lastest SMB (and I don't really know what that is) and force the system to use the last version of SMB. That worked then. But doens't work now.)

I contacted WD tech support and they said that the Windows services listed below all need to be running and in auto mode. I was able to start all but 2 - Computer Browser and Workstation. Both of those gave me error 1068 (some dependency not starting) and I have not been able to make that work. I am not sure if that is the problem or not.

It seems like the network is able to "see" it in some modes but not in others - and I need it to see it in all modes.

Services that WD said to be running:

Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Net Tcp Port Sharing
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Plug & Play
Server
SSDP Discovery
TCP IP/NetBIOS Helper
UPNP Device Host
Volume Shadow Copy
Wired Autoconfig
WLAN Autoconfig
Workstation

Is the laptop configured as a Public or Private network? Is it running under a limited account?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/2696547

• To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
  • To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Notes
  • You must run these commands at an elevated command prompt.
  • You must restart the computer after you make these changes.

Try running both commands above (disable and enable, rebooting in between as needed) and see if it helps.

I will do that - which version do I want enabled V2, or V3?

Both commands disable or enable both V2 and V3. You cannot disable V2 or V3 afaik.

Executed those commands and rebooted. Workstation service is set to auto but still not running and I can't start it. I didn't reboot in between - maybe I should try it again.

Executed those commands and rebooted. Workstation service is set to auto but still not running and I can't start it. I didn't reboot in between - maybe I should try it again.

You didn't answer the first two questions.

You need to reboot between disabling and enabling (tw0 reboots, minimum).

You didn't answer the first two questions.

You need to reboot between disabling and enabling (tw0 reboots, minimum).

It is running as a private network. I am logged in as an admin and I ran the COMMAND prompt as ADMIN. Rebooted between disable and enable. WORKSTATION still not running and unable to start it.

It is running as a private network. I am logged in as an admin and I ran the COMMAND prompt as ADMIN. Rebooted between disable and enable. WORKSTATION still not running and unable to start it.

What other modifications have you done to your os install? Was this an upgrade or fresh install of Windows 10?

The only other change I have made - that I know of - is to go into Services and set all of those services to AUTO and Restart them. I don't know of any other mods to the Win 10 install. I can't remember if it came with Windows 10 or if it came with WIndows 8 and I upgraded it. The laptop is only about a month old. And this hasn't worked since I got it. My old laptop - also running Windows 10 - was able to access the NAS without issues. It took a similar manual command - maybe exactly the same - about a year ago and after that it was fine. For some reason, it is not working on this one.

I went back to my old laptop - it is still functional but with some mechanical breakages - and BOTH WOrkstation and Computer Browser services are running. On the new one, the status of Workstation is STOPPED, and I can't restart it.

I went into Event Viewer and found a bunch of error saying Workstation not starting because ... "The Workstation service depends on the SMB 1.x MiniRedirector service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Any ides on how to enable/disable it or how to tell which of these is causing the error? I am researching it online but no answers yet.

The service is not bound to a network interface...

Try “NetCfg.exe –d” as Administrator (search for cmd.exe, when you see it, right click and run as administrator)

Ran that. Also ran sfc /scannow to look for corrupted windows files - nothing. Still have error in eventlog saying SXM.... is not starting or can't start. Is there someway I can "enable" it or view it to see if it is running? Something is causing it, or something related, to abort and I can't find it.

A little more information - I have verified that bowser is running and now corrupted. It looks like Workstation needs this AND SMB 1.x running in order to start so ... something is causing SMB 1.x not to start or it is unable to start. How do I troubleshoot that one?

Perhaps over thinking things - create a new windows account, as maybe your current profile is, for lack of a better word, not right...

Create the new user account - make it a local account, not bound to an email address, and reboot...

A little more information - I have verified that bowser is running and now corrupted. It looks like Workstation needs this AND SMB 1.x running in order to start so ... something is causing SMB 1.x not to start or it is unable to start. How do I troubleshoot that one?

In the same link in post 2, there is info on how to get SMB 1 running.

sfx2000 has a good idea to try in the post above too.

I actually have my old laptop - also running windows 10 - and this works on it just fine. Is there some way to compare the registry's and see which entries or keys are different? And then manually edit those few things?

If there are only a couple of key items to look at and change, I can probalby compare them manually - lanmanworkstation might be one but are there others? and several?

NEW DATA ... I may have found the culprit but I don't know a lot about this so I am hoping there is an expert who can point me in the right direction. I have been searching through the registry for MRXSMB (as this seems to be what if failing.) and I have 2 computers - that work - that are configured the same, and the new one (NOT WORKING) is different. It is all in one place in the registry under LANMANWORKSTATION.

The following 2 entries differ - I suspect I need to change these but am hoping that someone that understands this better than me can chime in before I complete screw up the registry and end up DOA

Entry called: DependOnService --> working computers say "bowser mrxsmb10 nsi" --- NOT WORKING computer says "bowser mrxsmb10 mrxsmb20 nsi"
Entry called: ObjectName --> working computers say "NT Authority/NetworkService" --- NOT WORKING computer says "LocalSystem"

I suspect that I should change both of these to match the working computers - can anyone confirm that this may be the issue?
AND what is the best way to edit the registry? Just enter it in from REGEDIT? Or do I have to make these change via COMMAND prompts?

Did you try the suggestions from posts 16 and 17? You could have tried those suggestions (and all their combinations) many times over by now. ;)

Messing with the registry is a sure way to kill a working system. There may be someone that can help you here, but after all, this isn't the SNB forum's main purpose.

If a new account and possibly trying different combinations with SMB 1 and 2/3 running or not doesn't help, I would do a full Windows install again, wiping away anything you have on the drive now and then follow up with the latest device drivers.