What's new

canyoublockit website

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diversion is never going to make their list of favorite blockers because the way it works (custom domain (re)direction) is entirely ineffective against the type of ads they’re trying to highlight. That whole deal is more suited to browser extensions and the like

Agreed. But their survey had Pi-hole listed first, which also sinkholes domains (as does Blokada among others listed there). Figured it was worth sharing...

FWIW: The simple test on Safari on iOS with Diversion+Pixelserv-tls results in no ads on the page, and no popup warning that I was blocking ads, either. Even the extreme resulted in mostly blocked.
But yeah, if they are served from the same domain, they obviously won't be blocked. Pretty cool test, especially if you are testing out with Brave mobile + Diversion or Brave desktop + uBlock Origin + Diversion. The multi-tiered approach (sinkholing + content blocking) is a must. Was considering tinkering with privoxy again on a RPi 4 since it has gb ethernet and about 70% of sinkholed domains that hit my network are still not served over SSL.

Figured it was worth sharing...
Not saying it wasn’t. Pi hole btw gets special mention most likely because it’s so well known, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole point was to demonstrate that pi hole doesn’t block as well as some of those extensions do.