What's new

Cat6 solid or stranded make a diff?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachBum

Regular Contributor
I have just had my house wired by a professional install company. The cable they used is Cat6 Riser UTP Solid 550mhz AWG23 (I don’t know the manufacturer but I do have a pic of the box).

I need to do some further wiring, 2 short in wall runs and the rest will be from the patch panel to the switch (both located in a rack)

I would like to match the same wire specs as the installers used, but I can’t find it in anything shorter that 1000ft and I don’t need all that. 250’ would be plenty. In 250ft all I can find is Monoprice Cat6 Riser UTP Stranded 550mhz AWG24.

Questions:
  1. Will it being stranded vs solid & 24 vs 23 awg make any difference?
  2. Will the Monoprice Cat6 Riser UTP Stranded 550mhz AWG24 be good for short, 6in - 1ft runs from the patch panel to the switch?

I'm finding this all on Amazon, if you know a better place to look I’d appreciate it. Thanks..

I have just had my house wired by a professional install company. The cable they used is Cat6 Riser UTP Solid 550mhz AWG23 (I don’t know the manufacturer but I do have a pic of the box).

I need to do some further wiring, 2 short in wall runs and the rest will be from the patch panel to the switch (both located in a rack)

I would like to match the same wire specs as the installers used, but I can’t find it in anything shorter that 1000ft and I don’t need all that. 250’ would be plenty. In 250ft all I can find is Monoprice Cat6 Riser UTP Stranded 550mhz AWG24.

Questions:
  1. Will it being stranded vs solid & 24 vs 23 awg make any difference?
  2. Will the Monoprice Cat6 Riser UTP Stranded 550mhz AWG24 be good for short, 6in - 1ft runs from the patch panel to the switch?

I'm finding this all on Amazon, if you know a better place to look I’d appreciate it. Thanks..

Solid conductor is normally used for runs in the walls and ceilings which are not subject to frequent moving. The short runs from the patch panel to the switch will normally be stranded as they are subject to more frequent bending. Solid connectors are much easier to terminate. So do yourself a favor and buy pre terminated jumpers in the lengths that you need .

Recommend a good vendor for that?
I usually buy mine using Amazon. When I receive them I test them by connecting my switch to the laptop that I have with an Gigabyte Ethernet LAN port. If the link shows as Gigabyte on the switch the jumper passes my test.

Will the jumper really pass a gigabyte I don't know as I don't have any hardware that will write and read files much above 500 Mbps.

Maybe Ill get jumpers then. I do have to replace 1 plug though, the contractors got cement on it when pouring the garage :(

So do yourself a favor and buy pre terminated jumpers in the lengths that you need .

Some would also call them "patch cables"...

CAT6 is what it is, depends on the application on specific cable type - It's all basically UTP, but stranded is most useful on short runs where one is doing a few swaps - in the wall, solid is fine...

OK, sounds like stranded patch cables for the switch and a set of longer solid for the in was short run. Thanks..

most cables are UTP. There are 2 types of cables, the untwisted (both ends are a mirror of each other) and twisted (both ends are the same). They both have their uses with the UTP mostly used but the other type is typically used for serial and direct connections. The type of cable used to matter more than a decade ago but not anymore.

Try calling the installer you used. Since you have a relationship established they might help you out.

Perhaps they have some leftover spools they might sell for a good price or just do the entire job.